Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmothers flower garden help >

Grandmothers flower garden help

Grandmothers flower garden help

Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 AM

I am working on-off on 1" hexs. This is meant to be a super long project - I told my little boy it will be ready when I am a grandmother, thus the name!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM

One question:
I have not decided on my layout. I've seen some GFG with "shared" paths (usually white) separating the flowers, and some with each flower having it is own path, and a row of diamonds (usually in green or blue) between them.
My question is, are the diamonds done by EPP? Or the flowers/paths are appliqued onto a green/blue background fabric?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Will your flowerets have a row of two or three! Have you grafted the pattern out? I suggest these two decicions are a must for the size you wish to complete. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

What an undertaking! Good luck with that and in Olympic spirit...Go for the Gold!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 AM

I'm doing one now too! So much fun!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 PM

I've been working on one that I call a Super Queen. I basted my first hex near the end of May 2011. Getting close to doneish The end is in sight anyway. Almost 6,000 one inch hexies, hand basted around card stock hexies, hand whip stiched together. I MIGHT be done in time to send it to the LA in time to give it to my brother for Christmas. It will be a push but MAYBE.

I will be calling it "Not your Grandmother's Flower Garden". Mine is four colours of flowers - pink, yellow, green and blue with a black centre, pastel colour for the first row and then the same colour in a jewel tone around the pastel. The pathway is in the same black as the centre. I have LOVED doing it and am looking for another hand project to do when this one is done. I even took hexies with me when I went to Jamaica and sewed up 12 flowers with their pathway while I was there.

I haven't posted a photo of it here in a while. Maybe it's time to again.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride View Post
I haven't posted a photo of it here in a while. Maybe it's time to again.
Picture please!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM

All right, twist that rubber arm. Today is a nice enough day that I can get a good sunny (and DRY!) photo. There isn't enough room anywhere inside my house to spread out the quilt and then get high enough to get a photo.

I just checked my "map" and you can see at the bottom of the photo where there is a row with only three flowers on it. The plan is to finish that row of flowers and then add on three more full rows of flowers and then a row of half flowers on the bottom to finish. I still have the half row and about one and a half full rows of flowers worth of hexies to baste. I just have to finish sewing and attaching flowers in order to get the cardstock hexies out and reuse.

Hopefully this works....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt.gif
Views:	351
Size:	634.2 KB
ID:	354173  
Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Wow! That's a cool and groovy GFG! I've never seen one with black paths!
I'm still deciding what color my paths should be. White is safe and goes with anything. Jade green is cool and calming.
Mine is a scrappy one, so white seems to be the safest bet.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride View Post
All right, twist that rubber arm. Today is a nice enough day that I can get a good sunny (and DRY!) photo. There isn't enough room anywhere inside my house to spread out the quilt and then get high enough to get a photo.

I just checked my "map" and you can see at the bottom of the photo where there is a row with only three flowers on it. The plan is to finish that row of flowers and then add on three more full rows of flowers and then a row of half flowers on the bottom to finish. I still have the half row and about one and a half full rows of flowers worth of hexies to baste. I just have to finish sewing and attaching flowers in order to get the cardstock hexies out and reuse.

Hopefully this works....

What size will this be? Do you remember what yardage you used for each color?? My DD loves this one!!