Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with hexagons that were supposed to be kaleidoscope? >

Help with hexagons that were supposed to be kaleidoscope?

Help with hexagons that were supposed to be kaleidoscope?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 AM

Default Help with hexagons that were supposed to be kaleidoscope?

Hi,

I have a project I'm working on that I need to get done by Wednesday. That includes the quilting but not binding.

Originally I wanted to to a kaleidoscope quilt, but decided to do another kind of triangle and make it a 6 triangle block, not an 8. I used the equilateral triangle ruler to cut out my triangles.

As I've gotten to the point of putting things together I realized that I can't seem to make these blocks into a square? Do I need to learn how to do inset squares, or what is the best way to put these blocks together the quickest and best looking way possible?

I'm open to any suggestions, but keep in mind that all of my blocks are pretty much sewn together into hexagons, and I don't have the time to rip out 56 blocks.

Thanks,
Emily
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 AM

You can make them square but you could also use sashing and keep them hexagon. This Kaye Wood's video shows you how to put sashing around hexagon blocks. Of course, she is touting her ruler in it but you could easiyl do it without. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f0-wcJXVx0

here is a link to a thread here on QB that used hexagons http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/amy-butlers-sexy-hexy-love-quilt-t39495.html

and here is a link to the pattern http://www.kikiquilts.com/index.php?...roducts_id=784

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 AM

ouch! If you don't want to do inset seams and join all your hexagons edge-to-edge like a baby-block quilt, how about turning them into rectangles? You could add a triangle to 4 of the 6 edges, and square it up - the resulting shape will the taller than wide, but you would at least have nice regular rectangles to deal with. The hardest part might be figuring out the size to cut the triangles - they are not 1/2 squares. You need 60-30-90 degree angles on the addded triangles.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

The six sided triangle blocks are put together in rows of half hexagons. Since you have already sewn your hexagons you can go several ways. Unsew the center seam and put them together in rows(you will need to pin to reduce the stretch on the bias edges) OR stitch them together with the dreaded Y seams OR add triangles to the 4 angled corners to make a square. You could also appliqué them to a square of fabric and then sew the squares together.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Can you post a picture? I think we're all assuming that you stacked your fabrics to get the kaleidoscope effect. If they would look good as a one block wonder (also known as OBW), that's the way I would go, with no corners or sashing, but you also need to take some time to lay them out to get the most effective design.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

Lesson learned:

Am equal sided six-sided figure does not convert easily into a square.

Some of the fixes mentioned will work to make it more rectangular - but will require some planning to make them work.

Good luck.