Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
feeling sad that it is all gone >

feeling sad that it is all gone

feeling sad that it is all gone

Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Purchased some fabric which I knew I would hate cutting up.eventuall used some as a backing for a quilt for me. I loved the fabric as it contained a forest scene on similar to a rainforest with birds etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Absolutely. Several years ago I bought a small pumpkin print while on vacation. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of our trip to Maine. So not only do I love the fabric, it represents good times. I finally used it up with the exception of a 3" x 6" piece. I refuse to part with it! Think of it this way though, it's better to enjoy it made into something than just sitting in your stash. Somewhere is a piece of fabric just waiting for us to adopt and bring home!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
I used the very last scrappy bit of my all time favorite fabric this morning. I have no more. I have used it in landscape quilts, classic quilts, as binding for heavy, woven Roman blinds (used yards of it for that project - every window in the house and two of its sliding doors have homemade Roman blinds!) and now as part of some scrappy blocks that will be assembled shortly. I have had it in my collection for over ten years...

I love this fabric because it is a sturdy batik with a vaguely landscape feel (a suggestion of trees and leaves) containing many of my most-used colors - russet, chocolate, purple, burgundy, moss green, cream, even a bit of navy. Sigh.

Do you have a favorite fabric? Did you hoard the last bits of a particular fabric when you discovered that you cannot get any more? Do you mourn any fabrics that you had, but are now all gone and commercially unavailable?

Alison

PS I will get over this...
I hope you saved a few of the scraps to put in a pretty vase or glass jar.

I have about 25 yards of my all time favorite yarn in a ball. Just sits there---------but I still love it.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM

In the quilt book =Bargello with a Twist --I saw the only fabric I went gaga over. Contacted Nancy Zieman & the book author and much searching on the internet before I found 4 yds. Took months to do because out of print.
I would even wear a scrap of the fabric pinned to my clothes when shopping in case people recognized it.
This fabric had 14 colors swirled thru it. A lady in California even traded me 1/2 yd. of the second color.
Naturally, I haven't cut it yet -looking for special pattern but I sure know how you feel. So if you like the
fabric buy lots now.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM

I've thought about putting a square piece of material, that I love (maybe 8x8), in a frame and hang it on the wall. I would smile every time I'd look at it It's hard for me to cut material I love. I'm working on that tho.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 PM

I have had a few. A stripe that was black purple and turquoise, another with the same colors that had a water color feel and a vintage fabric with the same colors and white big swirls of fabric. hmm I am seeing a pattern here. lol
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Yes, it is a batik with my favorite colors and I wanted to make a convergence quilt, but am afraid I can't find any more if I make a mistake.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM

I'm so glad there are others out there who can't cut into a favorite fabric. My none sewing friends laugh at me.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM

Years ago I was at a "Beverly's" and they had this weird orange fabric, with black and brown flicks on it in the clearance area - the flicks were small and it really complimented all the Halloween fabrics that year. So I got brave and bought 3 yards of it. Now I am sorry I didn't get all they had. At first people I sewed with laughed at it - but it was one of those fabrics that would bring everything together. And I shared it all the time - thinking it would come back again - have not seen it since. And I have this one small piece left of it.

My mother had saved a piece of fabric she used to make one of my sister's a dress (I think it was the oldest since she went to school first). It was a Disney fabric of the 3 little pigs. She told me she had it somewhere, no sure where, but just couldn't let it go. So after she died and I found the fabric - my middle sister din't recognize it at all, so I used it in a quilt for a grand niece. (The grand daughter of my eldest sister who passed away in 2008.)
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM

Yes, I do. It is a Wildflower fabric with all kinds and colors of flowers. Bluebonnets (TX's state flower), Indian Paint Brushes and others. It is just beautiful! Quilt shops sell out of it and order more, but it does not last long on the shelves. It is several years that it has been a really popular fabric. I'm going to use it for a wide border, and I won't have to cut it very much. There is a pattern for a quilt called, "Just can't cut it!" It has large blocks of your special fabric. I plan to make one. It's on my list!