Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey's HQ 13 and frame >

Bailey's HQ 13 and frame

Bailey's HQ 13 and frame

Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM

Default Bailey's HQ 13 and frame

There is a quilter who has listed a HQ13 and Gracie 8 frame on CL for $1500. Do any of you have this set up and would you share your experiences? I am thinking this might be a good deal, about 800 less than retail. But not sure about the learning curve, etc. Thanks for any responses.
Jan
Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 PM

Several people on the board have Baileys. Mine is 17"HQ on Majestic frame. Although I have mine a very short time I like it. It may not be for everybody because it has no bells and whistles but it works for me. I do not know Grace 8 frame. Do you know why the person is selling it?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM

Said she has only used it 3-4 times and realized she needed a larger set up.
"I have upgraded quilting systems and would like to rehome my old set up. It had only been used 3-4 times before I realized I needed a much bigger machine. I have the Grace Start Right 8' frame with cloth leaders and the Leader Grips system added. Here is a link to the exact frame I am selling:
http://www.sewvacdirect.com/grace-st...speed-control/
Included with the frame is the carriage the machine sits on as well as a clip on lamp, side clamps and laser pointer.

The machine I am selling with it is a Bailey's Home Quilter 13" model found here:
http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/homequilter.html
Note: It does not come with the optional stitch regulator

This is the package I originally bought from Bailey's:
http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/sppa1a.html

I am offering delivery and set up within a 60 mi radius of Seminole and I will also show you how to load a quilt and get the machine up and running if requested. The whole set up is practically new and is just taking up space at this point. Please contact me via email with any questions, thanks!"
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 PM

If I were you, I would call Chuck from the Bailey company and ask if he has any classroom models in that package. They are used very little and he knocks the price down accordingly. Granted, she has leaders and is willing to help with set up and show you how to use it. If Chuck can come close to her price (and i really do not know if he can) I would call/email her and try to get her set-up cheaper. One thing though, are you sure that 13" will be enough space for you?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 PM

I have the Bailey pro 15. I love it. I haven't done anything extra fancy like feathers or designs. I just meandered around the quilt basically letting my imagination guide the machine. My Bailey is a wonderful help if you ever have any questions. And his machines are made here in the U.S. and it shows. The quality is impeccable as well as the customer service.

It used to sit on a Hintenberg Stretch frame. We are building a table for it to sit in. I have arthritis in my lower back and an chronically inflamed bursa in my right hip. So standing for vast amounts of time hurts.
As a matter of fact I am taking the frame down tomorrow for storage until I decide if I like the table set up better. But chances are I will keep the table and sell my frame at a later date.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 AM

I have a Bailey 13 on a Gracie frame, queen size (90" across actual quilt space). As with any machine, yes, you will have a learning curve. However, I love mine, have had it a couple years and have done big quilts and small wall hangings. I did have an issue with the timing on my machine last month, I called chuck and he was great, walked me through all the trouble shooting possible until he realized I either needed to ship the machine to him or have a local shop look at it. I took it to my bernina guy who fixed the timing and $150 dollars later she is a new lady. It was worth every penny! I just finished quilting a 96x120 inch quilt (that I get to keep for me love it!)
As stated already, no bells or whistles, but a good machine.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM

I would like to know does the Bailey machines have a thread cutter? You know if you are it the middle of quilt and want to change to the next block you would need your thread cut.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 AM

No thread cutter. However, this isn't a problem for me because I have never used a machine with one. You don't miss what you never had
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by trif View Post
No thread cutter. However, this isn't a problem for me because I have never used a machine with one. You don't miss what you never had
No bells and whistles on Bailey, but I love mine.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
No bells and whistles on Bailey, but I love mine.
the reason they are afforadable is because of the "no bells..........." there are lots of things you can do yourself to make it more like you want once you get to know it, there is a bailey yahoo group that has tons of info and pics of things we've done to them. just remember just because it's a 13" machine does NOT mean you can do a 13" block, I have a 15" and at the end of a queen quilt 8" is the most I can do, less if I used a thick poly batt.