Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I am new to quilting! >

Help! I am new to quilting!

Help! I am new to quilting!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 AM

You are incredib,ly lucky to inherit all of that! I feel that classes at a local quilt shop are the absolute best way to start up in quilting. I did that in 2000 when I started and felt that I learned so many hints and tricks and easier way to do things that it was the most valuable thing I did in the learning process. I highly recommend this to everyone I know who wants to become a quilter. Have fun!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 AM

Wish I lived close to you. There is nothing I like better than to finish the old quilts that have been started by someone else. That is what I am doing now. My friend's son found a bag in her attic while doing some work on her house. It had 30 hand pieced blocks. They were different sizes and real dirty. I carefully soaked them in the kitchen sink until clean. I think it took 3 soakings.
Have fun
Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 AM

I would not "finish" anything until I had washed it. If it comes out to my expectations, then I would finish it. Too many to choose to take chances. If unfinished, zig-zag around edges before washing.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Yes the blue marks will come out okay. You are lucky to inherit such a collection!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Thank you ladies! Yes it would be exciting to live by a quilter!! Would love to quilt with someone else. Just recently moved to where we are, so needless to say I do not know any YET! .. Thank you for the wonderful helps.. I am def going to remember them.... I like the comment (Do not sell anything, you will see things different in a year).. I have to admit at first I thought about selling some of the tops... but once I started looking into quilting and such, there is no way I am getting rid of any of it!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

WOW !!! someone likes you to let you "inherit" that much .. Have fun with whatever you do ..
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 AM

What a fabulous inheritence! Others have answered your questions pretty much the way I would. But never throw away a quilt or top because of a few stains. Someone less fortunate can always use a quilt, and working on it will be good practice. If you decide not to use them yourself you can buy a blanket and a sheet from a thrift store and use them for batting & backing to finish a quilt for donation.

And welcome to the board.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 AM

If you find you are too overwhelmed with too much fabric, I know there are people on here that would love a donation of fabric. Many people sew/quilt for charities and can always put the fabric to good use. I just donated a ton of fabric from my stash and it felt sooo sew good to know I am helping someone else give to charity. I myself make charity quilts, but let's face it, most of us will have to live to be 150 before we use up all our stash.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM

It's amazing how I "inherited" it all! My husband and I recently moved to this area. About 6 months ago we started going to a church, which of course is now our home church (my husband is a minister) .. anywho.. They heard that I liked to sew and do crafts.. well a lady in the church is not doing to good... LONG story short... Our pastor said whatever I wanted go get it! and thats just what I did! I consider it a HUGE HUGE blessing! I felt very sad to know this women loved her work, you can tell by the way it is put together.. but yet it not able to do it anymore ( I did not really know her, only met her a couple times) .... .. Thankful that God sent this blessing my way forsure!!!!! Will def be helping others with it and blessing our community!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM

I dabbed peroxide on the blue marks with a Qtip and let it dry on the clothesline - came out fine