Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Must see list for a Southwest trip >

Must see list for a Southwest trip

Must see list for a Southwest trip

Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM

Default Must see list for a Southwest trip

We are planning a trip, probably this autumn sometime to the southwest - Arizona, New Mexico, southern Utah, Texas, Oklahoma. We want to see the Grand Canyon, Brice and the other southern Utah canyons, the Albuquerque balloon festival. What other "must sees" would you add to this list? We will be pulling our camper and be gone for a couple months. We especially like natural areas, hiking, state and natural parks. Not as much interested in the cities.

Also what and where are the most amazing quilt shops in these states?

Thanks for your ideas!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM

I always enjoyed the Vermillion Cliffs and the northern side of the Grand Canyon more than the Southern side. Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, and hiking around the Anasazi ruins in Mesa Verdi. Dinosaur National Park in Colorardo, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Royal Gorge, Taos, New Mexico. I would make an exception of cities and see the natural history museum in Denver. I love red rock country and have visited all the parks in Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Check out all the videos that you can and see what you are partial to. Tall mountains and forests and dry deserts and everything in between are available but 2 months is much too short a time to see very much, so you really need to do a lot of study before hand and pick out a route. Fortunately you won't have to stay on the interstates and can get off on state roads. Second Mesa on the Hopi reservation has a wonderful place to stay and will be a nice change of pace for you. Sedona can't be missed with its art colony and famous artists. One of the old extinct volcanos north of Flagstaff is interesting to hike on. Be sure and see Death Valley, especially the north end of it, the craters, Scotty's castle, etc. Have fun; take money.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 AM

Can't comment too much on your planned route as have not been there. Only word of advice I can offer is for the Abq balloon fiesta. Reserve your spot early! This is a really, really big event and I know hotels are sold out very, very early. Can only guess the rv spots are as well if you're looking to stay on/near fiesta park. We register as pilots so are usually guaranteed a hotel but the less expensive ones are gone quick! There are about 5 quilt shops in the Abq area that are absolutely awesome! Had a blast going to all of them while we were there last time. You'll definitely enjoy them. And have a great time.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 AM

Carlsbad Cavern in NM and be sure to stay for the evening show when the bats leave the cave; Mesilla area of Los Cruces, NM; San Xavier Mission in Tucson; Fort Huachuca museum; Quilt shops in Tucson are Quilt Basket on Tanque Verde; Quilter's Market on Speedway. If you want to private message me, I can give you more info as I live in AZ.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 AM

Bryce Canyon in Utah is awesome - if you travel to Sedona - the Church of the Holy Cross is there designed by Frank Lloyd Wright it is beautiful - it looks like it is part of the beautiful red rock formations that it is nestled in. Tlaquepaque is also in Sedona - a marketplace with many unique shops. There is a great quilt shop in Sedona...... If you are interested in riding a train through the Verde Canyon - you can do this in Cottonwood, Arizona. Of course the Hoover Dam on the border of Arizona/Nevada is wonderful to visit. There are so many great places to visit in the southwest - have a fantastic trip. Some of the best tips for local sights to see can be discovered by asking the local folks in the area that you are visiting.

Safe travels to you,
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM

Many of the good places have been mentioned but make sure you go to Jerome, AZ. It's an old mining town. The volcano area near Flagstaff is Sunset Crater National Monument - it's amazing and make sure you drive far enough in the park to see the Painted Desert. Also, Meteor Crater near Winslow is interesting.

I know it's been mentioned but you must see Sedona - the red rocks are so impressive. It's one of my favorite places on earth.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 AM

I'm planning a trip there in the fall also, but we aren't going as far East as Albque'.
I've been reading and planning and it looks like youve got lots of great input here...the one place that is a must see on our stop that has not been mentioned is on the East side of Grand Canyon is Lake Powell, you can park your RV just about anywhere along the lake and camp. Its really a must see according to my research.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 AM

Quilt and fabric shops, of course.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 AM

I certainly understand about the natural wonders. I was not nearly prepared for how impressive the Grand Canyon really is when you actually see it in person. Absolutely breathtaking!! You just don't get the sensation for how deep it is from pictures. But if you get out that far and don't drive to Las Vegas, you are really missing a part of Americana , too! Even just to drive ( or walk) down the strip and see the fountains at the Bellagio ( another site I could stand and watch all day!), Las Vegas is like a real life movie set. Death Valley and red rock are right near there, as well as several VERY nice quilt shops.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 AM

There is a Utah State Park between Bryce Canyon and the North Rim of the GC called Coral Sand Dunes State Park. It is about 12 miles off the main highway 89, but is well worth the detour. Back in 2002 my husband and I traveled three weeks out west and that is one of the stops I remember clearly. Off the beaten track, quiet, really different, beautiful and a nice place to stop for lunch (if you are carrying your own food).