Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you wash your fat quarters? >

How do you wash your fat quarters?

How do you wash your fat quarters?

Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM

It sounds easy to throw them in the washer and so what, but, I would not advise you to do this with any amount of pieces without serging around the raw edges as it makes a really tight wad of threads to trim. I want to find a better way to prewash. I like to hear the input from those more experienced than myself. I'm a newby.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I just toss them in the washer, on gentle cycle, separate any that are tangled when they're done, and toss in the dryer. If there are strings, so be it - I just cut them off. I guess I have a higher tolerance for fraying than some people do, but I'd rather deal with that than spend time preparing each piece. (I even use the same method for all scraps, no matter the size.)
Agreed - and I haven't lost any yet! Had one shrink beyond belief but that had nothing to do with fraying! :-)

Marysewfun
Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM

soak them in soap water in my salad spinner (purchased separate one for my laundry room,which holds the water, take out the basket and spin), rinse, spin and lay on towel to dry overnight.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM

Default washing fabric

Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
Agreed - and I haven't lost any yet! Had one shrink beyond belief but that had nothing to do with fraying! :-)

Marysewfun
washing fabric, what about the batting? Cotton batting does shrink. Will it be ok to wash fabric and not batting?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 PM

i wash mine in the sink!ans after i am sure they wont bleed i throw them in the dryer
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM

I just snip off a little bit of the corners. That stops them from raveling.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 PM

If you prefer not to wash your fabric, Snip off a bit and put it in a cup of water. Stick it in the micro until the water gets hot. If the water changes color, then it needs to be washed. If not, is safe to use as is.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I just toss them in the washer, on gentle cycle, separate any that are tangled when they're done, and toss in the dryer. If there are strings, so be it - I just cut them off. I guess I have a higher tolerance for fraying than some people do, but I'd rather deal with that than spend time preparing each piece. (I even use the same method for all scraps, no matter the size.)
This is exactly what I do. Not sure why you would not have any luck pinking the edges - all precuts come this way, and I cut all my fabrics using a pinking blade. I never had a problem with pinked edges fraying.