Sewing for yourself?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM

Default Sewing for yourself?

I decided to make a spring jacket that I could wear to church. By the time I figured the cost of the fabric, pattern, thread, and interfacing it would have been $35. I could buy something on sale for that. Do you find it economical to sew or do it because you enjoy making clothes?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 AM

It used to be cheaper to make clothes but not so much anymore. Especially if you pay full price for patterns & fabric. I sew clothes when I can't find what I'm looking for & try to plan around pattern & fabric sales. To answer your question I sew clothes because I enjoy it because usually the savings is not so great.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

i sew for myself because the clothes will fit better, i can choose my own colors, and no one else will have one like it
quite often, i save money
Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 AM

I started sewing to make my own clothes and quickly found that I could not really visualise what would suit me -- fabric and style and so often I was disappointed in the result. Now I have put on weight it is difficult to find some things that fit (eg nice loose pure cotton summer dresses just to wear around the house when it is very hot), but in general I am happy to buy clothes on sale -- even when I try on 30 items to find one worth buying!
I realise that when I started sewing I really was in love with fabric and wanted to be creative -- and patchwork is, for me, much more satisfying that any clothes sewing would be.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 AM

I made cloths for 40 years because it was more economical and I had children with fit problems. Both my boys were very tall and skinny at all ages, one daughter is very tall, the other is very busty. I was very busty and it was hard to find things that fit right. Right now the styles and prints do not appeal to me. I'm thinking I will be making more of my cloths again. I saved the patterns that looked good on me and many have the adjustments I need for fit. I always chose classic styles that are almost always "in". I don't like big, bold prints because I always feel the cloths are wearing me instead of me wearing the cloths.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 AM

I do not sew clothes. Much cheaper, better selection, better fit by just going shopping!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 AM

I bought the fabric and pattern but haven't made the clothing yet. What I like to wear for good is always at the high end stores and almost never, ever on sale in my size. I love wearing silk, and summer light weight worsted wool for my jackets.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 AM

When I got my very first sewing machine over 35 yrs. ago I did sew a few clothing items for myself and then later for my first child. Then I realized it was much easier to just go shopping and get a good fit and not have to wonder how it will look on me when I'm done making it.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 AM

I have sews clothes since I was little. It was much cheaper and you could get what you wanted. The price of patterns and fabric went up. Discount stores come in and you couldn't beat the prices there. Than I came into quilting. Patterns and fabric are still costly but what a joy it is to spend my money there. I am not a fashion diva so missing out on all the latest fashions does not bother me in the least bit.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM

I sew all my clothes.[no bras] I started sewing when I was young and also sew for others. I wouldn't think of giving up my sewing. I love it!