Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much leftover fabric do you have? >

How much leftover fabric do you have?

How much leftover fabric do you have?

Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 AM

I am also trying to use what I have as much as possible. So far this year I have purchased one fat quarter and 5 yards of black fabric, plus one jelly roll and a yard and a half of coordinating fabric, and a couple of charm packs.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:12 AM

Rhonda's Scrappy Mystery Train Ride used most of my leftover pieces. Most of the leftovers that remain are in extra yards purchased of my most frequently used fabrics. My stash continues to grow; however, I continue to use my stash on a regular basis and have successfully completed several projects this year using stash and leftovers.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 AM

I have all kinds of leftovers and yardage. My stash is getting out of control. In addition to trying to finish my UFO's this year I am trying to use mostly just my stash. I am doing pretty good so far with this. I have been not buying backing for my quilts lately. I make my backs out of leftovers from the front and things from my stash. It makes for some really pretty backs. Here is one of my recent backs. Great way to use up the stash.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01126.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	425795  
Old 07-25-2013, 05:30 AM

I' afraid to look at it that closley. I love scraps and plan one day to start making crazy quilts and string quilts. I have a lot of UFO"s and will be retiring soon so I plan to make that my first pitory, finishing some of those. Wish me uck.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:45 AM

I tried doing a very little bit of stash-building my first quilting year but I haven't used the fabric and I no longer buy anything until I am starting a project.

I have done maybe 16 projects now and I have saved all the leftover fabric. Sometimes I have a lot of leftover because I am not sure how I will use each fabric in the quilt and I buy to have enough.

Sometimes leftovers from another project can go into a new project but mainly it is piling up, and I am going to have to get seriously scrappy!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have a nice size cupboard containing my stash and a milk crate of scraps. I used up a lot of scraps in my Spiderweb Queen size quilt for our bed. Bonnie Hunter's www.quiltville.blogspot.com has lots of free patterns for taming your scraps.
I found this website a couple of weeks ago. I love scrappy quilts and decided to use my leftover fabrics for the Patches and Pinwheels pattern. I'm currently cutting my fabric into 2" and 3.5" strips. Really nice not having the leftover fabrics go to waste!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i've seen several register tape quilts here lately that would be wonderful to use up the two tubs of scraps that i have. unfortunately, i'm afraid my uncut stash will last the rest of my lifetime
Just bought 5 register tape rolls at a garage sale. Where are these pics archived so I can get some ideas. Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by nakotha View Post
These days I am busy with cleaning up my sewing room. I bet, here is one or two or more who knows, what it means.

Well, this year my goal is to use more leftovers instead of using always new fabric. It works out ok. To be honest ...my fabric stash isn't the biggest. But while cleaning up now I found out, that I have more leftovers than new fabric. And to me it's a bit scary How good, that at the first of august the dutch fabric market comes to my little town, hehe

So, what about you? How much leftover fabric do you have? Is it more than your unused fabric? Is it balanced? Do you keep every little piece?

Quick guestimation is about 5 cubic yards.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:01 AM

I have saved every piece of scrap for years. Even friends gave me theirs, no matter what size. I have Sharlene Jorgensen's miniature crazy quilt templates. WOW.....I am really using up these scraps! I am really happy I saved all those scraps!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 AM

At this time I am working on making blocks with my leftovers. I have a lot of left over embroidered blocks from some projects and have been adding random strips making wonkey blocks. I have done 30 or so and have more, suprise, I still have more than enough fabric. They turn out nice and I don't feel like I'v wasted fabric.