Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a quick baby quilt that looks complicated! >

I need a quick baby quilt that looks complicated!

I need a quick baby quilt that looks complicated!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 AM

Disappearing 4 patch makes up quickly and looks much more complicated. I just finished one using 6 inch squares and it looked great.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 AM

Check the Mode Bake Shop Site - I just made my very first quilt top from a Honey Honey charm pack using the instructions on their site - and it was easy considering my lack of skills (grin). They indicated it was a baby quilt but I am going to use mine as a gift lap quilt for a nursing home, I think. I know experienced quilters like to cut their own material - but I am loving these jelly rolls, charm packs, etc. I can't cut a straight line even with a ruler !
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The fastest for me would be a rail fence in 3 or 4 coordinating fabrics. I would strip-piece sets, then cut into squares. After piecing the center I might add a border (or 3) out of remaining fabrics.

A DP9 would take me a little longer (have to create 9-patch blocks, cut them, then reassemble) but it looks complicated.

Warm Wishes is another one that would take me a little longer, but it's really easy to do with a focus fabric and two solid colors.
I totally agree...these are the best and quickest. I've done all three and love each one and am amazed at how complicated they look yet are sooo easy. Good luck
Old 08-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
I just received an invite to a baby shower that is only 5 days away. Can you recommend a pattern that is easy but looks like it took a lot of time?

I've seen this done before. Start the quilt and get as much done as you can. Wrap that, including the fabric for the backing is more than a solid. Write a note that it's a work in progress. Take it back home and you'll be UN-rushed to complete it.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 PM

why does it need to "look complicated"?I think most people who receive a baby quilt is appreciative of the gift.Just my opinion
Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 PM

I think colors can sometimes make a bigger impact than pattern. I did a simple log cabin for a baby girl a few years ago. I did it in hot pinks and lime greens. There were some hoity toity relatives at the shower and they were oohing and aahing over the quilt, saying it looked like some well known designer of little girls clothes (I can't remember the name now though).

Having said that though, I love some of the ideas people have mentioned so far.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 PM

How about warm wishes..or disappearing 9 patch looks VERY complicated, but actually so easy
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM

LOL Scissor Queen you are the winner! I love all the ideas here and thanks to everyone for posting them. I will be making most of them and keeping them tucked away for the next 5 day advance notice but this time I am taking SQ's advice and giving a gift certificate! Ahh, I feel so much better.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Iraxy View Post
Why would you need to give a present that looks like it took a long time when you were only invited 5 days ago? Just make something nice and go from there. Have a good time. Hope your quilt is acceptable.

What she said. People that don't sew or quilt won't know how difficult or easy a pattern is. They are attracted by the colors. Have fun and don't stress.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 AM

Easy pinwheel...you-tube