Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does the inside of the quilt shop matter to you? >

Does the inside of the quilt shop matter to you?

Does the inside of the quilt shop matter to you?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:10 AM

Definitely have my favorites and enjoy the simplicity and elegance of some shops over others. I am more likely to spend money when in a calm and relaxed environment. Everyone's personalities are different and I admire those who can make decisions no matter what the conditions are.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 AM

I can stand some clutter, but filth and/or junk is another story. Have a shop only a few miles from home but can't stand the mess. I'll travel to Knoxville, which is 70 miles away rather than this shop of junk and clutter.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I just went to a Quit Shop yesterday for some John James needles - which they had few styles of - it was close by - newly done - very nice - lots of fabrics - a Bernina dealership -

I don't think I'll go back. I felt unwelcome there. I can't even put anything specific on why I felt that way. I just did.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM

we have a quilt store around here like that. I refer to it as the "Scary Store" I only go there when there is a specific fabric that i'm trying to find. It's too overwhleming. it is organized by colour but you can't see the fabrics it is just to packed.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:56 AM

I seriously was just looking at pictures of Calico Point via researching an RV camp ground for vacation next year. It said something to the effect that Amish work there or you can visit their store, something I can't quite remember what it was but the store looked awesome. Small world huh
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM

I like fabric, I like organized clean and bright stores the most, but love to rummage around and pile bolts together to put together a potential quilt. In the very organized stores I always feel intimidated to do "my thing", because I may put a bolt back where it didn't belong. What keeps me away from repeat visits to some stores is the shelf layout. I cannot bend to see the lower shelf, I can reach up and see above my head. So those shops that have only 1 or 2 shelves a strategically placed for eye appeal and use the tops to display fat quarters, quilt kits as if the store was being staged, I am physically unable to shop comfortably for any length of time. These stores I frequent only to buy a specific color needed to complete a quilt or back a quilt.

Last edited by nhweaver; 09-26-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM

Wow I just looked up that quilt shop. I nearly swooned over the purple wall. I have never seen fabric displayed like that. I map quested it, darn it is 4 hours away. Looks like it could be worth the field trip.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:00 PM

There is a local quilt shop that I occasionally visit. The bolts are mostly messy. They are never busy. Usually the clerk is sewing on her own things. I have worked in fabric/quilt shops for a total of 18 plus years. Every time I go in there I tell myself, "You are not going to straighten fabric, you don't work here". I have a horrible time controlling myself and usually end up straightening some of them. Yes, it matters to me how a shop looks. I want good lighting, neat and some samples. I took my granddaughter to one shop when she was young...she said, "I think there is someone dead in the back." She should know, her mother is a funeral director and has been in and around a funeral home all of her life. lol I really don't like that shop either...something about the atmosphere. Unless there is something I am really looking for and can't find, I don't go there.

Last edited by Dotha; 09-29-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:07 PM

Interesting way to display fabric there at Calico Point. I have never seen that before. Not sure that I like that.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Wow I just looked up that quilt shop. I nearly swooned over the purple wall. I have never seen fabric displayed like that. I map quested it, darn it is 4 hours away. Looks like it could be worth the field trip.
There are several other quilt shops in that general area too! At least 6 in Elkhart and Lagrange counties, plus a couple of others on your way there... Well worth the trip!