Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about buying fabric online >

Question about buying fabric online

Question about buying fabric online

Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM

Default Question about buying fabric online

I have noticed in looking at Keepsakes or Connection Threads that the fabric swatches show the print off kilter. Is it printed that way or just photoed (sp) that way. I recently bought some flannel at Joanne's that was printed way off grain. I bought extra when I saw it before it was cut as I really wanted the fabric but wondered about some of the swatches. Has anyone had a problem with the fabrics before when ordering online?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I haven't order from either of the two stores. I have always been happy with my purchases from Hancock's of Paducah or the Fabric Shack. I did buy this fabric online that was made from P&B from a line called "Hello Dahlia!". Unless you want to use fabric that looks like worn "shabby chic", stay away from this fabric. The other two fabric I bought from this fabric line were fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P&B Dalhlia!.jpg
Views:	4328
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	444274  
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM

I'm participating in a BOM at my LQS. They give you somewhat precut pieces to construct your block each month. These are high quality fabrics. There have been several printed off grain. Very frustrating when making blocks with directional fabrics to begin with...then having them printed off grain makes it even more difficult. It can happen anywhere.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM

First, a disclaimer - I LOVE Connecting Thread fabric. It is made and printed just for them. And it is great.

CT is very particular about how their prints come out. More so than another dealer or manufacturer that I have dealt with. If you have an issue with a piece of fabric, they will move heaven and earth to make it right.

Once - a long bit ago - there was a print that when I unfolded the yardage there was one spot where the design was double printed, basically making it useless. The area was about 9-10" long out of a 4 yard piece. I called them and they said to keep the fabric, use the backside of the misprint if I wanted AND sent another 4 yard piece - no charge for the shipping either.

And only my second ever complaint was about a very rough cut edge (obviously the beginning of the raw roll) making the first 4 inches unusable. There was a note that they had added an additional yard to make sure that I had the usable yardage that I had ordered.

Their customer service is fabulous as are their fabrics and everything having to do with them. JMHO
Old 10-31-2013, 12:23 PM

What she said! Great fabric, quality, prices and outstanding customer services.

Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
First, a disclaimer - I LOVE Connecting Thread fabric. It is made and printed just for them. And it is great.

CT is very particular about how their prints come out. More so than another dealer or manufacturer that I have dealt with. If you have an issue with a piece of fabric, they will move heaven and earth to make it right.

Once - a long bit ago - there was a print that when I unfolded the yardage there was one spot where the design was double printed, basically making it useless. The area was about 9-10" long out of a 4 yard piece. I called them and they said to keep the fabric, use the backside of the misprint if I wanted AND sent another 4 yard piece - no charge for the shipping either.

And only my second ever complaint was about a very rough cut edge (obviously the beginning of the raw roll) making the first 4 inches unusable. There was a note that they had added an additional yard to make sure that I had the usable yardage that I had ordered.

Their customer service is fabulous as are their fabrics and everything having to do with them. JMHO
Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 PM

I have never purchased from either of those sites you mentioned. I am actually feeling a bit foolish because I am not sure that I even understand what the problem is. Maybe I just don't have as much experience as the others. I have purchased fabric from Amazon and Fabric.com.. I was very pleased with everything that I purchased from both of them
Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM

I have just purchased fabric from connecting threads and I'm very happy with it. The fabric is not directional, so I can't speak as to the off-grain print, but it is a good weight, doesn't wrinkle easily, and didn't bleed. I'm very happy with their fabric so far.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:49 PM

I've purchased fabric from fabric.com with no problems at all. Although the colors I see on my computer are different from what I get!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:51 PM

I have ordered from CT several times with no problems. A couple of other good sites are equilter.com and bugfabric.com
Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM

I have been happy with fabric that I bought from FavoriteFabrics.com. She is one of us, here at the QuiltingBoard.