Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where Were You November 22, 1963? >

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:09 PM

I was 23 years old and at work in downtown Oklahoma City. I had walked 3 block from the office to Main street for lunch and on the way back to work I noticed some people crying and hurrying somewhere. I finally stopped a man on the street who looked like he had seen a ghost or something and asked what was wrong and he told me President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. I was about a block from the office and ran the rest of the way back in 3" high heels. Of course, we didn't have a TV in our office, but we had a radio and stayed glued to it all day. I remember everywhere you went someone was crying (probably me) and it seemed there wasn't anything else to talk about. Of course, I watched the funeral and cried and cried over the riderless horse, John-John saluting, Jackie being so brave behind her black vail. It was like a member of our family had died. And it seems life was never the same after that. We all went on of course, but for years the sun just didn't shine as bright.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:15 PM

I was teaching fourth grade in a suburb of Montreal. No PA in the building - so the runner came with a written notice of the news with the instructions not to tell the students. I remember how difficult it was to go back to class and continue on when my mind was whirling how could something like this happen.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
The 50th anniversary is Friday. All of a sudden the principal came on over the intercom and played a radio station.
I was a HS senior in chemistry class. When the radio came on with the news, the classroom became deathly still. This is a memory that will live on in my memory.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:55 PM

I was a senior in high school and on the phone to the newspaper to request a photographer for a school event when it came across the teletype. My afternoon classes were American History and Government. The teacher brought her tv and we watched it all afternoon and again for the funeral. Everyone was in shock.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 PM

I remember our 6th grade class being excused to go home and spending the afternoon sitting with my Dad in the living room watching it. He wheeled the portable TV out so we could all watch it together. I watched a program this morning talking about how our country aged during the tragedy.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 AM

7th grade...Catholic school. They initially made the announcement he had been shot, then we all lined up and marched over to the church to pray. Everyone seemed in shock. The Pastor them announced that "Our President is dead"... I remember watching it on tv, and the church bells ringing. My dad kept saying "this is history...you better remember this..."
Old 11-18-2013, 04:03 AM

I was married less then 1 month and was shopping at the food store with my mom. They announced it. We celebrated our 50th this year.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:11 AM

I had a job as a stenographer at an insurance company and some of us went out to lunch across the street at a drugstore (they had food in those days) and as we were coming out people were hollering and crying - "The President was shot". For some reason I did not cry. To this day I can't figure it out. Everyone was crying except me. The only time I cried was when I saw the horse with the inverted boots. And then I couldn't stop. Edie
Old 11-18-2013, 04:13 AM

I was in 4rd grade and walking home from school when some kids came and told me. I remember running home crying.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 AM

I was in the 4th grade. For safety reasons, students who walked home had to wait for all of the buses to leave the parking lot before we could start our walk home. There were about 8 of us along with our teacher waiting in our classroom so we could leave and the announcement came on the school's PA system. My teacher cried as she explained to us what happened. Teachers and students waiting in other classrooms all piled into ours to listen to a radio. I even remember the green dress I was wearing that day.