Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your go to pattern for a wedding gift quilt...hopefully fairly simple? >

What is your go to pattern for a wedding gift quilt...hopefully fairly simple?

What is your go to pattern for a wedding gift quilt...hopefully fairly simple?

Old 11-25-2013, 03:22 PM

Default What is your go to pattern for a wedding gift quilt...hopefully fairly simple?

A friend's daughter is flying to Italy next month to marry her fella. Then they will have a reception hopefully in the spring here. Spent the day with them today, came home thinking I'd like to make her a quilt. Ideas. Please, and thank you
Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 PM

My daughter is getting married on the beach in May. Her decor is seashells/starfish. I am trying to find fabric now with seashells, etc on it and will embroider beach scenes/palm trees/seashells on the squares if I have time.
So, I am going with her wedding theme.
I had also thought about cutting out squares and having all the guests sign each square and then assemble a quilt.

For our wedding his sister made us a quilt that was his favorite pattern when he was a child. Baskets with flowers embroidered above the vases.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:23 PM

Sandilee, I'm making one right now with these Neptune batiks.

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...Batiks--m-7564
Old 11-25-2013, 07:42 PM
RST

Unless I know the bride's style well and am confident in choosing bright colors, I tend to make low volume quilts as wedding gifts -- neutrals, simple blocks, with the interest coming from the texture of the free motion quilting.

Another epiphany for me -- I no longer make queen or king sized quilts for wedding gifts. Most people I know like big puffy comforters and duvets for their bedding. So I make a generous lap size, perfect for cuddling on a couch or to throw at the foot of the bed for decorative interest. Much easier and cheaper for me to make, and they've been appreciated as much, if not more, than the massive quilts I used to try to pull together.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
Sandilee, I'm making one right now with these Neptune batiks.

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...Batiks--m-7564
Thanks so much for showing me this....I wasn't even gonna go to Hancocks but I will now. I love the top row the best.....I will email these patterns to my daughter and make sure she likes them.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 PM

can you ask her what colors are her favorite colors and what our his colors,and combine the ones that match up nicely ,if it is a surprise wedding gift just kind out the colors without her knowing what your making for them.a double wedding ring would be a beautiful quilt to make for them
Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Also ask what color they have in mind for the bedroom, kitchen, dining room, and living room.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:36 AM

I always like to do a trip around the world for a wedding gift. It lends itself to a nice little story of the centre being the home and all the travels of life centering around the home.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
Default pinwheel and plain between

Pin wheels with a square inbetween, edge has prairie points.. forget the chicks, use printed fabric in pinwheel and colored fabric squares, or the same fabric as in the pinwheel.

faster than log cabin or spilt rail.. I use the sew two squares, printed and plain fabric facing the eachother. sew 1/4 inch seam all around.. cut opposite corners.. There are your pinwheel squares.. fast and simple. Pinwheels always have the wow factor. good luck !

Ell
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	chubby chicks.jpg
Views:	2932
Size:	579.5 KB
ID:	448879  
Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I agree with RST.. The generous size lap quilt for the couch to watch TV is better than a bed quilt.. the bride and groom tend to have their own plans and ... most often has no clue the work involved.. good luck choosing the design.