Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just bought June Taylor Shape Cut ruler >

Just bought June Taylor Shape Cut ruler

Just bought June Taylor Shape Cut ruler

Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 PM

My niece likes to use the Shape Cut square but I don't care for it. I will look up the video and try another ruler on top of it to see if that helps. I did buy a 28mm rotary cutter and hope that makes it easier for me to cut. I just saw someone use it for making squares and it went very smoothly and quickly. It may have been a Craftsy video.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:40 PM

I just ordered the Plus from Joann's on Black Friday. I have 2 other Shape Cuts, I love them, but one of them cracked at the bottom, duck tape works well to hold it together. It was my fault, it was in the trunk of the car in a New England winter, and I lifted it up when my featherweight was on one end.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM

Great idea, Neesie, thanks.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
Ladies,....
Some of us are gentlemen (or, we'd like to think so) ...
Old 12-02-2013, 03:31 PM

I purchased my first Shape Cut (12"x12") about 8-10 years ago, and never had a problem with it. I put non-slip grips on the left and right edges. I have always picked it up by the lower left had corner, and one day not too long ago, it broke right at the "0" slot. So I got the duct tape out, taped both sides, and it's good to go. My DH had broken my new Creative Grids 6-1/2"x24" ruler, so he offered to buy me a new one. I had our son cut the ruler into two smaller rulers and I told my DH that he could buy me the 12"x18" Shape Cut. So he did. I used a 50% coupon and ordered it from JoAnn's online (they never carry the larger one in the store).
Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 PM

I love mine, too (I have 2), but found storage a bit difficult because it's so flimsy.

I store it behind my dresser so it won't get accidentally broken.

Have fun with yours
Old 12-02-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
I love mine, too (I have 2), but found storage a bit difficult because it's so flimsy.

I store it behind my dresser so it won't get accidentally broken.

Have fun with yours
Mine are hanging on the wall, with my other large rulers.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:34 AM

I love boh my 12" and my 18" but I use the 18" more. What has helped me to avoid shifting are two huge clamps that DH got me from Lowe's. They have red plastic on the squeeze handles. I mostly use one but sometimes both. My cutting table fortunately has an overhang so they clamp the ruler easily. They absolutely stop any shifting as they grip super hard. I also have the accuquilt GO but I almost never use it to cut strips anymore.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 AM

I'll have to check it out!! I need another ruler!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
dunster, I too have stayed away from it because the June Tailor rulers use a very flexible plastic that I think would "give" too much as you run your rotary cutter along the lines. I think I can be much more accurate just moving my ruler and know I have a solid ruler edge to run the blade on.

I really wish they would make this in a firm and thick plastic like other Omnigrid or Olfa type rulers. That would be something to really get excited about.

I have had mine about 2 years, and use it from time to time, but last week when turning it to cut the other direction, it cracked between the handle and the 10" slit. I tried to post a question on their website about how to repair it, and the site is not very user-friendly, so I will just start using my Quilt Cut 2 to cut my jelly rolls, charms. I'm not sure I got my money's worth out of the June Tailor Mat even though I got it on sale. I really did like it for as long as it was crack-free.