Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Butternut squash, any other ways to prepare aside >

Butternut squash, any other ways to prepare aside

Butternut squash, any other ways to prepare aside

Old 12-23-2013, 11:56 AM

I make slices of the "neck" part and then cut the b"bulb part uin half or quarters. Then I put a pat of butter on each and a little brown sugar and roast for about 30mins at 400 degrees F. I think cubing it would be good too. I'd toss them with a little oil , S&P and a little cinnamon, then roast for 15-20mins depending on size of cubes etc. Make sure there's space between the cubs so they can brown a little.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Nancy Fuller on www.Foodnetworktv.com made a Butternut squash soup that I want to try. She's the new one from up state New York, living on a 'farm', and has catered for 26 years. I love her style of cooking and her show. Soup looked soooo good. You can check it out on the internet site.
Here's a link for the recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/n...ml?oc=linkback
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 PM

I made a nice beef stew last week with butternut squash. I also make a hearty vegetarian chili with butternut squash. Chili recipe:
1 med butternut squash 1 in cubed
28 oz crushed Tomatoes
28 oz diced Tomatoes*
15 oz Cannellini beans
15 oz Kidney beans
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp gr thyme
2 tsp chili powder
1 jalepeno (*or sub 1 can of rotelle 1 can diced tomates)
Chop onions, garlic and jalapeno. Drain and rinse beans. Mix all ingredients in lg oot and simmer on low until squash is tender. (1 - 2 hours) Serves about 12 (1 cup) servings

I'll see if I can find the link to the stew....
Old 12-24-2013, 10:34 AM

peel, cube, little olive oil drizzled over it, salt pepper and a small sprinkle of nutmeg. roast 350 degrees 45 minutes to an hour .. turn once while cooking so its evenly roasted. Serve like this OR toss it on buttered pasta with toasted pine nuts, and equal parts diced ham of similar size to the finished roasted squash SO good! next soup: roast, add minced garlic while roasting to the above directions. put in food processer with chicken broth and butter sautéed 1/2 onion minced. put back in saucepan add diced 1/2 block cream cheese and 2/3 cup whole milk or heavy cream. cook til smooth and thick. yum! I love butternut squash and roasting is the only way to cook it and keep its full flavor in my book
Old 12-24-2013, 06:44 PM

I cut butternut squash into about one inch chunks or cubes and roast in oven after tossing squash in a bit of olive oil and seasonings - delicious!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 PM

I love butternut squash pasta sauce! It is a different way to use the squash and SO yummy. Just google it and you will find all kinds of recipes for it!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:17 AM

my new favorite is spaghetti squash..its amazing. and very,very good for you. I use that now in place if pasta
Old 01-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Butternut is my favourite squash. This is a fast and easy soup for a cold winter day. Enjoy.

Patti

Butternut and Quinoa Soup

• 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
• 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
• 2 cups peeled, seeded, cubed (bite-sized) butternut squash
• 1 cup yellow corn
• 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
• 1/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
• 1 cup water
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 (14 oz.) cans vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
• 2 tablespoons finely minced cilantro
• Cayenne pepper to taste, if desired
HEAT oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, cooking slowly until soft and yellow in color. Stir in squash, corn and red pepper. Cook 5 minutes more.
BLEND peanut butter, water, cumin and salt in blender or food processor until combined. Add to vegetables in saucepan. Stir in broth and quinoa. Bring to boil; reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
REMOVE from heat. Stir in cilantro; cover. Allow soup to thicken 10 minutes. Season to taste with cayenne pepper, if desired.