Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for inspiration >

Looking for inspiration

Looking for inspiration

Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM

Default Looking for inspiration

My grandma died a few years ago. She left behind a room full of fabric, too much for me to keep it all. I did keep some pieces I particularly liked and all of her UFOs. I also kept a storage box full of pre-cut squares, most of them 3 1/2 inch squares.

I think these squares must have just been the way she was organizing her scraps because they are all very different in color and pattern. I've always wanted to make something from them as a tribute to her but I'm coming up blank for ideas. I could just do some nine-patches out of the ones that look good together, but that seems so uninspired. Everyone here always has great ideas so I thought I would maybe post and see if anyone has a pattern they could suggest or another idea for what to do with all these squares.

Thank you in advance!
Becki
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gmfabric1.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	462546   Click image for larger version

Name:	gmfabric2.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	462547  
Old 02-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter http://www.quiltville.blogspot.ca just finished her leaders and Enders quilt in the Split Nine Patch. All her patterns are free under the Free Pattern tab at the top of the site. Separate your lights and darks and see if you have enough for that pattern.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:10 PM

WOW! how lucky to have all those ready to go! I am doing a heart one with scrappy blocks. That would be a good one in memory of your grandma.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM

You could do a snowball alternated with 9 patch. You'd need to cut the yardage at 9.5" squares to do this (your 3.5" squares would finish a 9 patch at 3x3 = 9" (9.5" unfinished). Use some of the 3.5" squares for the corners of the snowball blocks, or cut yardage for the corners to all be the same.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 PM

You could do disappearing four patch using pairs of the squares. Put the same fabrics in opposite corners of the original four patches. I did this with charm sized squares and really like the result.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:08 PM

I love the cross stitch looking fabric, very cute
Old 02-15-2014, 04:42 PM

I am currently making a leaders and enders quilt using 3.5 inch square scraps. I'm going to do a what I think is called a disappearing 9 patch. I've never really done scrappy so in order to keep myself from trying to control it I tossed all my squares into a large brown paper bag and I just take 2 out and sew them together. Only time I low myself to not is if they are the same. Once I get a bunch of 2's done I add a third square by pulling from the bag. Once I get enough sets of 3 done I'll toss all of them into the bag to sew them together.

Im hoping once it's all said and done they will have all played well together and it's something I like.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:43 PM

Is 3.5" too big to do a Trip Around the World? You could group your squares into colors and and use one color per "trip"
Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 AM

Since you are looking for something other than a traditional nine patch, You can adapt most any pattern that uses charm packs . There are so many patterns available for the 5 inch precuts . MSQC has lots of videos for charm packs , and there are lots of free patterns on the internet . Just keep in mind that you will need to make more blocks to account for the size difference . If it were me I would probably just go with one of the quiltville patterns , I love the dancing nine patch or the split nine patch as someone above suggested . Also view the scrap quilt thread here for inspiration .

What a treasure you have ! And to think she probably cut them by hand !
Old 02-16-2014, 02:46 PM

You can find some great ideas for your squares at wedding dress blues blog.