Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I love old feed sack fabric >

I love old feed sack fabric

I love old feed sack fabric

Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 AM

I love them, they look like so much fun. Reminds me of some of the quilts at my grandma's house when I was a kid.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:22 AM
Power Poster

Very nice selection.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
In the last few years I have developed a love for old feed sacks. I just bought several from a lady that contacted me on this board. They were just absolutely wonderful. Take a look at some of them and tell me what you think.
These are LOVELY!!! My mother made all of her dresses and skirts out of feed sacks - and my grandmother made quilts and clothes as well……Grandmother gave me about 20 of these when my eldest daughter was born…..and I made many of her dresses from these - and they were adorable! Sure wish a had a mess of them now - to put with off white or unbleached muslin for a quilt top……….
Old 03-13-2014, 04:43 AM

OMG...I had a dress out of 2 of those fabrics! I can remember the men at the feed store cringing when my grandmother and I would go in and pick out which sacks of chicken feed we wanted (always at the bottom of a pile of 15-20!! My grandfather would wait in the car...didn't want to be associated with us when making the guys move bags so we could get what we wanted! They were always willing to do it...(I'm sure they talked about us when we left!)...I have 2 quilts my grandmother made...9 patch...all made with feed sacks...left overs from the dresses she and my mother made!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:52 AM

too beautiful to cut!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
I sold antiques for 30 yrs, and feed sacks were used by feed stores as late as the 60's and 70's. Take note of the colors and the trends during the yrs. If you think of them as yardage the price would be high but as feed sacks not so much....I sold some that were not exceptional for 5- 6 dollars each. Yard sales and estate sales may be a better option. Special ones commanding higher prices were figurals, especially black Americana and other unusual scenes or motifs. I have four sisters and when we were young in the 30's and 40's, we would show our Dad what feed sack patterns we wanted and that we needed more of those. As I remember Mom buying yardage in the store, it was 25" wide for 10 cents a yd and later 25 cents/yd for 36" fabric. She often called it material. I was born in the middle of the dirty thirties and cannot imagine the struggles my parents endured in Western Kansas at the time. There is nothing about that time I would want to go back to. When I married my husband, he took me to see his aunt who lived in a sod dugout in the early 60's. But, mercy me, she had a piano and fiddles and good solid furniture in this humble dwelling. Her husband might take one of the children to town with him on his horse and be gone a week before she heard from him. That was some of the Old West I remember.
Yes, we had chickens in the 70's and 80's and my DH brought me printed cloth feed sacks that had chicken feed in them. More brighter colors I think than the older ones. I still have them and remember sitting outside on my porch and taking the strings out of the tops, shaking out the last of the grain and taking them right to the washing machine.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:30 AM

Lucky you! Do you think you might make something from them?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
I sold antiques for 30 yrs, and feed sacks were used by feed stores as late as the 60's and 70's. Take note of the colors and the trends during the yrs. If you think of them as yardage the price would be high but as feed sacks not so much....I sold some that were not exceptional for 5- 6 dollars each. Yard sales and estate sales may be a better option. Special ones commanding higher prices were figurals, especially black Americana and other unusual scenes or motifs. I have four sisters and when we were young in the 30's and 40's, we would show our Dad what feed sack patterns we wanted and that we needed more of those. As I remember Mom buying yardage in the store, it was 25" wide for 10 cents a yd and later 25 cents/yd for 36" fabric. She often called it material. I was born in the middle of the dirty thirties and cannot imagine the struggles my parents endured in Western Kansas at the time. There is nothing about that time I would want to go back to. When I married my husband, he took me to see his aunt who lived in a sod dugout in the early 60's. But, mercy me, she had a piano and fiddles and good solid furniture in this humble dwelling. Her husband might take one of the children to town with him on his horse and be gone a week before she heard from him. That was some of the Old West I remember.
What wonderful memories. I would have loved to live back in those days. Everything was so simple then.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 AM

Those are wonderful. I am finishing up a feed sack quilt and have some good size pieces leftover if you're interested. I'm using 6" squares if you want to trade.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 AM

I love the feed sack materiel we worn lots of clothes made from them growing up.It cost Mom 5 cents per sack to get the printed ones and she requested 4 of a kind with each order= about 4 yards of fabric.