Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What Do You Wear When You're Quilting? >

What Do You Wear When You're Quilting?

What Do You Wear When You're Quilting?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:13 AM

I keep a sticky lint roller at all times in the sewing room. Not only is it good for a fast clean up of my clothes, but I use it for the ironing board, cutting mat and to remove little threads from fabric after ripping.

Now if I could find something to discourage threads and snippets from being tracked into the hallway carpet - that would be wonderful!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

I wear an apron .Easy to shake off those little pesky strings.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 AM

I usually wear an assortment of thread and fabric sippets. I quilt at home and I am a seamstress for a bridal shop so I sew most of the time. When I go somewhere, people will tease me about bringing my work with me or say I like this color. It's just me being me.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:10 AM

I just wear whatever is comfortable. Sometimes pjs. I too would have to do hair, make up to go out..
Oh, for picking up threads -- did you all see where the lady suggested a "toilet brush" (new of course, ha, ha)?
It really works well!!! Don't have to drag out the heavy vacuum. But I do have a Shark (I keep it charged at all times), its lightweight, just right for picking up….'course when emptying little ben, have to pull threads off roller...
Old 04-04-2014, 04:32 AM

I too come from a small town, and many times I have had thread picked off my shoulder. I tend to snip threads, and if I am not standing close to a waste can, I place them on my left shoulder. People often refer to my "corsage". Our older grandson left for the Marines at the end of February and he has wrote back wanting pictures of everyone back home. The other evening our granddaughter (his sister) ran by so we had her snap a picture of Papa and I to send to him. Sure enough there was Papa, our dog, me and "my corsage" in the picture. That's o.k - grandson probably would not know me without the threads.

Needed to edit just to answer your question. I usually wear a t shirt when quilting or sewing. When sewing at the domestic machines I have a thread catcher that I drop the threads into. When at the quilting machine I place them on my shoulder and try to remember to remove them when I leave the studio.

Last edited by Bobbielinks; 04-04-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:56 AM

I just go over to the quilting room and start sewing whenever the mood strikes me. I have gone over in fleece pants and top which is a huge mistake. They actually suck threads off of the fabric!!! I try to avoid fleece now but don't generally worry about it a whole lot!!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:59 AM

I sew barefooted, and pitch threads over my shoulder.....(makes my OCD sisters crazy, but it works for me; I, too, have a little Shark handy to eat threads and ladybugs. It gets emptied every time I go out.) Oh yeah, I forgot--jeans and a shirt that is easy to shuck and change.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Jeans or sweats in the winter with a turtleneck and socks, fleece or sweatshirt if it's cold. Threads stick too badly to my sweaters. In the summer, barefoot, tee shirts and capris. For whatever reason, cannot wear anything heavier than a sock on my right foot to use on the foot pedal.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 AM

I usually get little boys coming up to me and saying I have a string on me. I say that's OK I am a quilter and I come with strings attached.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 AM

I wear a sweatshirt and sweatpants in winter time and short sleeve shirt and shorts when its warmer. There are many times I have forgotten to take my quilting clothes off and when to the doctor with them on. My doctor will say to me, "I see you have a new quilt you're working on". I say, what do you mean? He says, "I see you're covered with new threads". Then I realize I have my quilting clothes still on.