Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
looking for opinions on IKEA furniture for my sewing space >

looking for opinions on IKEA furniture for my sewing space

looking for opinions on IKEA furniture for my sewing space

Old 03-31-2014, 03:34 PM

I've had friends tell me that this sometimes happens just because of the quality of the fabric too not just due to sunlight. I can tell you construction paper can sure fade fast on our school bulletin boards. I know it's not the same thing but it is amazing.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM

Here's a picture of the IKEA Billy bookcases that we got for my fabric storage. I love them!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	1151
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	469761   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	1061
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	469762   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	1598
Size:	884.1 KB
ID:	469764  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 AM

I'm in the process of picking out IKEA furniture for a new sewing space too!

I'm looking at the BESTA storage series at this point. Little deeper than Billy (which was my first go-to, I love those things!) and I can get drawer sets as well as cupboard door sets. I'm taking over our livingroom as my new space so I want things to go behind doors and drawers as much as possible. It comes in a lot of different sizes and has lots of possibilities.

I'm also looking into the PAX wardrobes...nice and tall, which means if I cover the doors with flannel I could use them as my design wall. Not ideal, but probably best place I'll find for a design wall in that room without sacrificing a lot of space that could be used for storage.

But I still haven't settled on anything yet. I'm going there this Sunday to play around with stuff and take some in-person measurements on things.

In my current sewing room, I have the Grundtal rails and hooks for my scissors and rulers right above my cutting table - LOVE IT. I have 2 (which I will move to the new space) and I'm going to buy at least 2 more rails and 4x more hooks.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:33 AM

I recently bought the Stuva System from IKEA. It was super easy to put together. I bought three six drawer units. Each unit has four medium drawers and two larger bottom drawers. I store my fat quarters by color. I love them. It is perfect. I put them in my closet.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I can't really find any reviews about the durability of the wardrobe units. I thought maybe some of you could let me know what you think.
I just re-read your original post again and noticed this part - we had PAX wardrobes in our prior house, actually used them as our closets. They held up great; we used them probably 4 years before we moved and they were still in excellent condition when we sold the house. We were going to take them with us but the buyer cut a deal to include them with the house. We had two wide ones with clothing rail on top and 2 or 3 drawers each in the bottom (I can't remember how many drawers, now); and then we had a narrow one in between filled with shelves that held all our linens.

Last night I finally made my decision and I'm going to buy PAX again for my new sewing space. I can fit FOUR of the wide cabinets along one wall, and I'm getting the tallest ones. Going to cover the whole face of it with flannel so I'll have a design wall about 13 feet long and just shy of 8 feet tall. Much bigger than the 72" square space I have now! I can't wait...I'm going to have SO MUCH STORAGE!

Hope that's helpful.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:47 AM

Aorlflood - wow! Your set up is amazing. Your fabrics are beautiful. I bet it makes it so motivating to open those cabinets up and see all of those colors! Can you share the info on
the plastic bins you used for the cabinet in the corner?

Metrogirl -I'll check out Stuva. Maybe I can use that too.

Sewnona, we're going with the Pax as well. We are getting the taller option. Eventually, our son will put crown above it so it should look like a built in. I'm going to work out the room on graph paper this weekend. I'm excited and can't wait to get it done.

Thanks, everyone, again!
Old 04-05-2014, 03:50 AM

Aorlflood, can we see your chair? Looks much nicer than my plain old black one.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 AM

Aorlflood - wow! Your set up is amazing. Your fabrics are beautiful. I bet it makes it so motivating to open those cabinets up and see all of those colors! Can you share the info on
the plastic bins you used for the cabinet in the corner?

Thanks, everyone, again!
Most of the bins in the corner unit were plastic storage bins from Joann's a few years ago. They have snap on lids and stack on top of each other. The other storage bins are just misc. tins and baskets that I had lying around the house. (I ten to collect covered baskets, like picnic baskets, etc., when I'm our yard-saling. I like to use things like that for storage.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 AM

Aorlflood, can we see your chair? Looks much nicer than my plain old black one.
This was a cloth-covered desk chair that I got at a yard sale for $1. There were stains on the cloth seat, so I decided to cover it with selvages. I removed the seat from the chair and cut a piece of muslin bigger than the seat. I then sewed selvage strips to the muslin. I pulled the muslin/selvage strip piece tightly around the seat bottom and stapled and glued it to the bottom of the seat. Then re-attached the seat to the chair.

I know that we are not supposed to put blog info into our posts, so I'm going to recommend that you go to the link in my signature line. Look for the list of posts on the right hand side and click on "selvage chair cover". You can see more about how I did it there.

Name:	chair after1.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	935.9 KB
ID:	470170   Click image for larger version

Name:	chair after2.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	774.1 KB
ID:	470171  
Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Dont neglect to go to Pinterest and do a search on sewing room organization...TONS of ideas there....and the inspiration for my sewing room chair came from there too.... it was a rescued one from an old employer. The 9 patches were from a swap group I was in. [ATTACH=CONFIG]470234[/ATTACH]

Name:	IMG_2903.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	470234