Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Ideas for best way to fit fabric into new cabinets needed! >

Ideas for best way to fit fabric into new cabinets needed!

Ideas for best way to fit fabric into new cabinets needed!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 PM
yel

i got a foam core board ...cut it 1 inch smaller than shelf depth .....then ''ruler folded all the large pieces ''and pulled out the foam core and on to the next piece of fabric ..... anything under 2 yards i folded on smaller core boards
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 PM

Ditto the suggestion re double layers BUT could you add a dummy step for the back row to stand on, say 2 inches......you would then have two layers deep but you could see the back row.

This would only cost you 2 inches in height per shelf.

Mx

Last edited by mulberryellie; 04-18-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-18-2014, 06:53 PM

I think this method would work for you and it is very low cost.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...n-t242172.html

You can fold the fabric to fit the depth of the shelving and stack in several rows across each bin/shelf. That way you can see each fabric and/or easily remove a stack, look through it and return it to the shelf. The comic boards I bought are now separating the rows of stacked fabric in a shelf.

Have fun and enjoy your new sewing room!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by mulberryellie View Post
Ditto the suggestion re double layers BUT could you add a dummy step for the back row to stand on, say 2 inches......you would then have two layers deep but you could see the back row.

This would only cost you 2 inches in height per shelf.

Mx
That's an interesting idea! I was also thinking I could find some foam core board and make trays, each 1/3rd the width of my shelf and same depth as the shelf, so each tray would hold two short rows of fabric. I could then slide the tray out to get at what's on the back. Maybe even make them cut sort of like magazine holders, so the fabric would be held upright when I slid it out...?

I think I really just need to get things set up and play with them for awhile before I figure out the ultimate best way to do this. Painters are supposed to be here in about 2-1/2 weeks....seems like an eternity away!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 AM

If you have room for two rows, and the height, I would make a eight inch "shelf" for underneath the second row of fabric.
this way you can see the fabric sticking out on row two over the top of row one.
The shelf can be just two piece of wood 8" tall and the width of your bolts. Nail one to each end of a piece of wood and stack your fabric on it. Hope this helps
Old 04-21-2014, 05:53 AM

I kind of like the idea of a ledge for the back row, but 8" high would eat up way too much of my storage space. A couple inches is probably enough for me to see what's back there.

I think my tray idea might work out OK too, but I really need to get the darn cabinets built so I can really play around and see what works and what doesn't.

I spent part of the weekend wrapping fabric around comic book boards. One of the few things I can do at this point to prepare for my big move! I bought 200 boards and used every single one of them; probably need at least 400 more to finish up. They work well though, funny thing is they end up almost exactly the same size/shape I fold my fabric in now for my bins, so there are already convenient crease lines in all my fabric in just about the right spots, so it's been going quickly, and the wrapped fabric fits back into my bins so they'll be kept safe until I'm ready to move them out.

I also finally knuckled down and caught up on my pre-washing...I thought I had about 3 loads worth but it ended up taking me SEVEN loads. (I do small loads so maximum amount of water to dilute any running dye) I threw in a bunch of "questionable" fabric I got for free from a friend who is moving, and a whole bunch I just bought at a guild fabric sale - selvedges were missing from a lot of it and there were some pretty intense reds so I was nervous but NOTHING BLED. Woohoo, I win!! Now I just need to get more comic book boards...
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Are your shelves the adjustable ones? Is it possible to drill another hole in the center and get a small 7 1/4" shelf and have it above the 14 1/2" shelf? We did that with a kitchen cabinet for smaller things on top. I used it for cook books.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
Are your shelves the adjustable ones? Is it possible to drill another hole in the center and get a small 7 1/4" shelf and have it above the 14 1/2" shelf? We did that with a kitchen cabinet for smaller things on top. I used it for cook books.
That might work...I'll have to see how it all shakes out once I can get the darn things built...

I've become a fabric sorting/folding machine in the last few days though. Used up 200 comic book boards, have another 200 coming today and 500 more beyond that should show up in a week or so. I find I'm enjoying the re-folding process, actually. I get to pet all my awesome fabrics AND they look so neat and clean when I'm done! Very satisfying project.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:39 AM

If two rows bother you, maybe the front row could be the smaller fabrics, fold 2 inches shorter. Ones in back still visible. Just an idea,little sorting by size.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 AM

How about those fabric boxes to have a different colour stored in each ruler folded. You would only have to pull out the box. You could organise by size of fabric instead of colour or a mixture of methods.