Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Dumb" Hexie Question >

"Dumb" Hexie Question

"Dumb" Hexie Question

Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Default "Dumb" Hexie Question

Hope someone here can help me figure this out.

I want to make a hexie quilt. I bought a Fiskar's hexie punch (which works great) and cut out my hexie templates from old file folders. I've watched many tutes on hexies and they all use fabric cut into hexies to make hexies! Seems counterintuitive to me and I can't for the life of me figure out an easy way to precut my fabric into hexagons (yes, I am challenged! ). Is there another shape that could work - perhaps a circle - that would work to make hexies? HELP!!!

Thanks to all. I look forward to the wonderful suggestions I am sure to get.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:26 PM

I cut strips and then squares big enough for my paper hexie. I have the same punch and it makes cutting papers so much faster and accurate.
As I'm gluing (I use a Sewline glue pen) I trim the excess material off. Works for me...
Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM

If you purchased the punch with 1 inch sides, a 2 1/2 inch square will fit the hexie. No need to trim to a hexie shape. Just fold. If you desire to trim the seams, you can do that after the hexies are sewn together and the threads are removed.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:37 PM

I am using 1 inch hexie papers and making 2 1/2 inch strips cut into 2 1/2 in squares of fabric. I find that trimming the corners off a little helps to eliminate some of the excess bulkiness. So far I have made over 600 of the little buggers in spare time and on a weekend trip in the car---getting anxious to put something together and think it will be a table runner to start with--its my first try at this so antsy to see what it turns out to be.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM

I do the same as Mike'sgirl. I also cut the fabric into squares and then trim a bit of the excess fabric. I use the hexagon punch too - works great! I also use a hole punch to put a hole in the middle of the hexie template, baste the fabric (do not go through the paper) and when it comes time to remove the paper template just flip them out with a chopstick or end of your scissors. Easy peasy! I also leave the basting in - can't see it and it doesn't do any harm. Have fun making hexies!
Old 06-11-2014, 01:56 AM

Ooh, I've been considering getting the fiskars hexie punch...when I was looking at them online I couldn't work out what size they were...if I remember rightly the largest one was shown with a size of one inch, but it didn't specify whether that was along one edge or at the largest point across the hexie...can anyone clarify for me?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

I usually cut squares, then just cut a bit off the corners.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:32 AM

I hand cut my hexie papers while watching tv. then punch a hole in the center to hold in place,on the fabric, with a pin.I mostly cut my fabric from scrapes of about 3 inch pieces. In the sec. picture the basting thread is under the fabric from corner to corner. I use tweezers to remove the papers. I love making hexies.!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
Ooh, I've been considering getting the fiskars hexie punch...when I was looking at them online I couldn't work out what size they were...if I remember rightly the largest one was shown with a size of one inch, but it didn't specify whether that was along one edge or at the largest point across the hexie...can anyone clarify for me?
It should always be the length of one side. I cut 2.25" fabric strips to cut my hexs. I use my tiny 18mm Olfa rotary cutter to trim the two edges on each side of the hexagon. Goes real fast and easy.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
The measurement is of one flat side.
For my 1/2" hexie I use 1 1/2" squares. When I made my last small quilt I didn't trim the fabric. Getting the papers out of this small piece was a bit of a challenge. In fact when I started quilting I found a few papers still inside - and they still are! A quilter would be able to find them, but I doubt anyone else could ��

kathyd