Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
considering a featherweight... >

considering a featherweight...

considering a featherweight...

Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 AM

Default considering a featherweight...

i've been thinking about getting a featherweight, does anyone have some links to some great sites with information about them? some of the stuff ive read has made the whole thing sound pretty intimidating...
Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 AM

Here you go.... and yes, it is intimidating!! I finally bought one and have made some mistakes doing so. If I had it to do over again, I would have spent MORE money on my featherweight and bought it from someone who restores them completely. Mine has been work, work, and more work, and I'm not quite done yet. All because I "cheaped out" and bought my featherweight from the wrong person. I have no affiliation with the site below, just have learned quite a lot from it. Be sure to check out her "Tip of the Month" archives.

http://www.novamontgomery.com/index.htm
Old 06-26-2014, 07:50 AM

From what I've been reading, try to find one with the original bobbin case - apparently the reproductions don't work too well.

For some basic information:
http://www.planetpatchwork.com/fweight.htm
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Nova Montgomery is a great source for FW information and she sells machines. She has visited our guild 3 times and I enjoy her presentations.

There is a Yahoo group for Featherweights that is very informative. I believe Graham Forsdyke is the moderator. He is located in the UK, but he sells FWs to the US, too. Google 221 Parts (a very good site for parts & accessories); April 1930's (sells FWs, parts & accessories); David McCallum (they are retiring next month so will no longer be selling,but he has a great book/DVD combo on the care and maintenance of FWs); and Glenn Williams (parts & accessories).

FWs are the least intimidating machines you could ever hope to own. They were built to last and to be easy to operate. They only have a straight stitch, but they are wonderful to work with. I hope you find one.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

This website has all the info you need:

http://www.novamontgomery.com/
Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll contact Nova Montgomery. Buying a fully restored one sounds like a great approach.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM

Have you given any thought to getting a Singer 301 instead of a FW? I have both and much prefer the 301. It is only a little heavier than the FW and seems to have more power.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:38 AM

I have one that I never use because it makes my foot hurt. I have Plantar Fasciitis in my right heel. I just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue with the 221k.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by SUSIENC View Post
I have one that I never use because it makes my foot hurt. I have Plantar Fasciitis in my right heel. I just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue with the 221k.
Try turning it around with the button facing away from you. Then rest your foot on the platform. That's the way I use mine and it works much better for me.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:12 AM

I have one that looks great, came in the original carrying case with several attachments, the original FW manual and was purchased at a very reasonable price. It's a mid-to-late 40's model and sews like a dream. It now sits in a closet where it has been for several months and is never used. I wanted it so bad until I got it and then I realized I really didn't want the machine, I just got caught up caught up in another person's dream of owning one. I would sell it in a minute if I could do so without hurting my husband's feelings but he was so happy that I was able to find such a nice one after looking for a long time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that "I wish I had looked ahead before I leaped" and given more thought to what I was going to do with it before I bought one.