Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
considering a featherweight... >

considering a featherweight...

considering a featherweight...

Old 06-27-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I have one that looks great, came in the original carrying case with several attachments, the original FW manual and was purchased at a very reasonable price. It's a mid-to-late 40's model and sews like a dream. It now sits in a closet where it has been for several months and is never used. I wanted it so bad until I got it and then I realized I really didn't want the machine, I just got caught up caught up in another person's dream of owning one. I would sell it in a minute if I could do so without hurting my husband's feelings but he was so happy that I was able to find such a nice one after looking for a long time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that "I wish I had looked ahead before I leaped" and given more thought to what I was going to do with it before I bought one.
I too bought one thinking...well it must be great, everyone wants one...almost three yrs now...used it once...like the modern ones better....stitch is just as good with new as it is with FW...now interesting...having a garage sale now...have it out with sign showing price...not one person showed interest..I guess this is not FW country.......will have to sell somewhere else...
Old 06-27-2014, 09:59 PM

thank you everyone for sharing your wonderful stories about your FW's here! i know it won't be my go-to machine but I love the look of them and can see myself using it occasionally to 'treat' myself hehe. simple projects like hemming stuff! i also have a old upright piano that it would look so nice next to.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

Why limit yourself to the status of a featherweight - there are tons of older sewing machines that work just as nicely, cost much less and are much easier to maintain. Some people figure the cost of an older working machine is cheaper than one service call for a newer machine. Besides that you might actually have some fun with one.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:26 AM

I use mine occasionally, mostly because the bobbins are small and I get weary of changing them so often. It sews very well though and is fun to sew on. Just not one I would use everyday. The links you have already been offered are great for information. Enjoy.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by qwkslver View Post
I use mine occasionally, mostly because the bobbins are small and I get weary of changing them so often. It sews very well though and is fun to sew on. Just not one I would use everyday. The links you have already been offered are great for information. Enjoy.
If you use a bobbin winder and wind a few at a time you can easily change out the bobbins.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:40 AM

I love,love my FW's.....only drawback is the fancy stitches can't be done but u do get zigzag attachment and is portable to carry to classes, trip,etc. it's my everyday machine ! I have the 222K which is so quiet and the 221 (black,tan and white) is dependable and lightweight. All have given you excellent suggestions above but maybe you can find a reputable knowledgable repairman in your town that ( I have Tony Baker) can give u points or service, he may even have one for sale which has been totally serviced, not cheap but u know it's right.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:45 AM

Miriam is right (as usual)! I am a bit of a renegade and prefer not to travel with the herd. I asked my sewing machine mechanic for a recommendation for a smaller, take with machine but NOT the featherweight. He recommended the Kenmore 158.1040 in the rose case. I found one and love it! It is a little larger than the featherweight but smaller than a regular machine. I LOVE it!

Later, my DH insisted on getting me a featherweight which I took to my machine guy for a thorough going over. His comment was, that I was lucky. It's motor sewed much stronger than lots of featherweights did. But I still prefer my little "Rosie" Kenmore.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Why limit yourself to the status of a featherweight - there are tons of older sewing machines that work just as nicely, cost much less and are much easier to maintain. Some people figure the cost of an older working machine is cheaper than one service call for a newer machine. Besides that you might actually have some fun with one.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
Miriam is right (as usual)! I am a bit of a renegade and prefer not to travel with the herd. I asked my sewing machine mechanic for a recommendation for a smaller, take with machine but NOT the featherweight. He recommended the Kenmore 158.1040 in the rose case. I found one and love it! It is a little larger than the featherweight but smaller than a regular machine. I LOVE it!

Later, my DH insisted on getting me a featherweight which I took to my machine guy for a thorough going over. His comment was, that I was lucky. It's motor sewed much stronger than lots of featherweights did. But I still prefer my little "Rosie" Kenmore.
Those are light weight and do more tricks and have a bigger bobbin and very cute and much cheaper than the FW.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:45 AM

I have two featherweights and an older Kenmore, love them all and do my piecing on the featherweights and machine quilting on the Kenmore. No desire for the new machines here.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 AM

There's a section of the QB Daily Digest that is for Vintage Machine Enthusiasts...lots of information there.