Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking chalk >

marking chalk

marking chalk

Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 AM

Unhappy marking chalk

I just finished a quilt for a friends 80th birthday the end of this month. I heavily quilted it and used colored chalk to mark some of the lines as I am not proficient at fmq. After I washed it the chalk marks did not come out. I am very frustrated, does anyone know how to get these marks out?

Thanks, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mary
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

So sorry this happened! What color was the chalk? I've heard that only the plain white can be entirely trusted. It's too late to say this now, but always test your marking tools on the fabric that you will be using in the quilt before using them. I hope others will have suggestions on how to remove the chalk. I usually try Magic Eraser for everything, but have no clue if it will work on this, especially after it's been washed.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I am sorry to tell you that there have been MANY posts on this site regarding the inability for color chalk to come off a finished quilt. I have a quilt that the blue Clover chalk still has not come off. You might want to see what some of the other posts have suggested by doing an advance search. They do tell you in the instruction to test it on a sample piece of fabric. I NEVER had any problems with Clover's white chalk. Good Luck !!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Spritzing with. 'Shout' might get it out. Was it chalk made for marking, like clover, or was it kids colored chalk? If the kids kind it may be more difficult. I use chalk often, but I am careful to not get it wet or touch it with an iron. When finished quilting I use a soft brush or fabric eraser and remove as much as possible if any remains I might dampen a cloth with oxyclean stain remover or shout & rub the rest off. Hopefully if you try some spot remover the marks will come out
Old 08-20-2014, 10:09 AM

The chalk I used was purple, green and orange thin pencil like that fits in a holder, I am not sure where I got it, I also have white. Thanks for all suggestions,

Mary
Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I only use white chalk for marking. I used blue many years ago and it is still on the quilt. It eventually washed off the white quilt surface but it seemed to have dyed the quilting thread. If you have fabric scraps left, use the chalk colours on a piece and try different cleaning methods. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I would try Z'out on a test piece. Z'out is inexpensive and in our local Walmart, so should be easy to find.

Another possibility is Grandma's Secret Spot Remover:
http://www.amazon.com/Eddingtons-Gra...dp/B00KHSA9JC/
My small local Walmart doesn't carry it, but I think bigger Walmarts do. I used this recently on a large stain of foundation (facial foundation) that had dried on my daughter's skirt. Tried several others things first. Finally used Grandma's, rubbed it in as best I could with an old soft toothbrush, let it sit for a few hours, then tossed into the washing machine even though a lot of the stain was still there. It was completely gone after washing! I am now guarding my tiny bottle of this stuff in case I need it again!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Oxy clean might work. it did on pencil marks. Or maybe Retro Clean. works on stains. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 PM

This happened to me using the blue in the "Dritz Quilting Chalk Cartridge Set" at Joanns! I washed the quilt and the blue remained (this happened to me more than once, you would think I would learn my lesson!) I used the Shout stick stain remover and washed it again... and again (but not drying it, because I didn't want to set in the chalk). Finally, I got detergent and a toothbrush and rubbed it into all the blue chalk spots and it pretty much finally got rid of them all.