Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will it look like I'm copying? >

Will it look like I'm copying?

Will it look like I'm copying?

Old 10-11-2014, 02:24 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Will it look like I'm copying?

Yesterday I went 2 1/2 hours to my dealer's shop. All the LQS are about that far away. I saw a beautiful Hunter's Star on the wall and the owner said she was teaching a class for it in two weeks. I paid and signed up for it. She said "don't bring your Rapid Fire Hunter's Star ruler, we won't be using that, and there will be no 'Y' seams. I am stoked!! The quilt on the wall was scrappy red and white. The owner made one block and pinned it next to the quilt - it was grey and white. My problem. I need 5 7/8 yards of two colors for this quilt. I have that much in Kona black, Kona white, Kona Grey and some really pretty red.

I thought at first I would use my pretty red and white, but I realize that is the colors of the quilt on the wall. I don't want to look like I'm copying her. Same with the grey and white - just like the block on the wall. I bought a purse yesterday and feel I should use what I have at home instead of ordering online, bt then I think I will be copying the one on the wall, even though it's scrappy red.

Am I being paranoid or should I just go for the red and white. I could order some Kona blue online instead, but the color is never the same as the picture. And I have all this pretty red waiting to be used. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:32 PM

You are definitely being paranoid about the colors - go for whatever you want. You also might try the Red and Grey; I love that combination.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:55 PM

Every class I've ever taken, I (and/or others in the class) have either used the same color combo or similar. In fact, on the sign up sheet/directions the instructor has written down the fabric line and how much one needs of each color of fabric, etc. In fact, the ONLY time I HAVEN'T used the same or similar is if I didn't like her color combo or I had lots of stash of something else. I think she will be flattered!!
Old 10-11-2014, 02:59 PM

I always use what's in my stash when taking a class. I don't want to invest in new fabrics after having to pay for a class. Don't be surprised if others in the class are using the same colors as the sample in the shop.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:00 PM

If you like the red and white, then by all means use it. I would see it as a compliment to whomever made the quilt.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Use what you like and have. If you think the instructor will think you are copying, tell her that you loved her colour combinations so much, that you just had to use the same. Imitation is often seen as the highest form of flattery.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:10 PM

I've used the same fabrics as the shop sample more than once. The owner was flattered I liked her color choices!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Use it! Often people choose a pattern because they like the colors. I have bought patterns and then used the same fabric if I could find it. Yours is not the same fabric and even if it was there is nothing wrong with copying it. enjoy your class and I can't wait for you to post a picture of your quilt.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:29 PM

absolutely use what you have! You can bet if she was to put together a "kit" it would be the same.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 PM

One of our LQSs has a rule that, "if you take their class, you have to buy fabric from them, not bring you own".