Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Bring something to work on..." >

"Bring something to work on..."

"Bring something to work on..."

Old 11-18-2014, 04:27 AM

Default "Bring something to work on..."

I went to a class at the local fabric store last night and, while there, met someone from a local quilt group I have been thinking about checking out. Of course, she said, "Bring something to work on." I've never belonged to a local group, other than in campgrounds where we pretty much set our stuff up and left it in the recreation room from one day to the next...it's where I learned to piece quilts. One reason I have not joined a local group is because it seems like such a task to pack up a machine and everything, haul it somewhere, use it, pack it all up a couple of hours later, and bring it all back. So, what do I bring? I know it sounds like kind of a stupid question. I was thinking that I have a bunch of charm packs and have been thinking about using them to make HSTs for a future quilt (no particular pattern in mind). As you can see, I am not real experienced and have a difficult time going to a group I've never been to before. What would you guys suggest? Thanks!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 AM

Prepare something to applique or some kind of small items. Maybe mug rugs or placemats. This will help you to get a feel of the group and also to scope around to see what others are working one, which may give you ideas. You may have to prepare a "take-along kit" so that you'll be ready to work.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 AM

One group I know takes mostly handwork. Maybe hand embroidery, hand-piecing blocks, Hexie shapes, fabric & glue. Some even bring crochet or knit items they are working on. Hand Binding is another popular take-along. I recently took a bunch of HST's that I needed to square up. (side note: I have got to learn to sew these so that they come out squared. Squaring them is a mindless, boring job.) Some groups like working on the same project, so a lot of them will do the same quilt. This makes it more like a class atmosphere, but few bee's have that type of sewing space so it is mostly discussion. If you are having trouble with layouts, they will probably be happy to give you their opinions.

Bottom line, GO, have fun, find out if it's what you want to do. I love the bee's I go to.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Bring a quilt with hand stitching the binding, appliqué or embroidery work for your first visit. You can see the set up and what everyone else brings for your next visit.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:53 AM

Handwork. Easy to bring.
Sandy
Old 11-18-2014, 05:14 AM

I go to a weekly sewing bee and frequently I bring hand sewing just so I don't have to lug my machine and all the "stuff" that goes with it. That darn thing is heavy!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:22 AM

I usually take handwork because I have a tendency to put it off. If that is all I have to work on, I will get it done.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 AM

I love going to classes. It gives me a chance to learn new things and spend time with women who have the same interest as me. We usually have a ball.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 AM

How about taking a mat, rotary cutter and fabric so that you could cut for a new project?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 AM

Cathedral Window blocks are fun. I have often brought that to a group gathering. There is prep before hand, but then it is fun to just keep building and adding to the blocks. My other go to is of course embroidery. I love doing that at night when I am away from my machine.