Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know? >

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Nursing homes.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:21 PM

My guild supports the local women's shelter. It is sponsored through YMCA. You may also check the police department too.

I have made some Linus quilts and that was the first thing that came to mind. If you have a homeless shelter that could also be a place that has needs.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:04 PM

Local foster families. Our guild members each made a top and provided the batting and backing. I then quilted them and we are donating appr. 20 quilts to a local foster family. We only have about 12 active members. Sometimes kids are taken out of a bad situation without anything except the clothes on their backs. These quilts were made with the intention of them keeping them where ever they end up.

Chris
Old 11-19-2014, 04:20 PM

We give them to our local Sheriff's department to keep in their vehicles. When they are dealing with an accident, and someone must sit in the car, there is a quilt available. Sometimes children, sometimes older.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 PM

We have three adult day centers run by a non-profit organization. They are like kid day care centers but for Seniors and the adult disabled while their family member caregivers are at work. They love the lap size quilts and are used by Those sitting in chairs, wheel chairs and recliners. In addition this same non-profit, LIFE Senior Services in Tulsa also has an annual holiday project to give gifts to local low-income Seniors and lap quilts are often requested as gifts. I give all my lap quilts to them! You might check with your local United Way agency to see if you have a similar Non-profit agency in your area for Seniors.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:10 PM

There is a Veteran's Home (nursing home) about 2 hours from here and I recently called them and asked if they could use lap size quilts and they said YES. I asked if all of their residents were men and the lady said "no" that they also had a women's wing. I plan on bringing them some on my way to St. Louis. You might check your area to see if you have something like that in your area.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:06 PM

Our Guild provides quilts to the child advocacy center. Children who are removed from their home go there and every child gets a quilt.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 PM

when you ask if they need quilts, be sure to ask if they have a preference on dimensions..........our church group is in the process of making some for a local nursing home and they specified 24" X 48" we were surprised that they wanted them so narrow......
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 PM

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

I just received a request from *QuiltsforKids* they are in need, over the years I have sent upward of 100 quilts to them, they send quilts to hospitals all over the country for kids. Also, locally I always take kids quilts to the women's resource center for the emergency shelter; around the holidays stress sometimes causes ( families/kids) to wind up in the shelter over the holidays with no means to provide much of a Christmas... A nice, snuggly quilt for a child who has landed in a ( scary situation) can make a difference. Also, I am in contact with the local fire department, when a family suffers a home fire I sometimes receive a call / request for quilts for them. The local groups who put together gift baskets for families also appreciate donations