Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yardage vs precuts vs FQ? >

Yardage vs precuts vs FQ?

Yardage vs precuts vs FQ?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 AM

I buy all types! yardage, (or metres in Canada LOL), FQ, rolls, charm packs ...

As for mixing fabrics ... I've done a couple of quilts where I've mixed different types of fabrics - cottons, batiks, satins ... makes for a really interesting quilt!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I have LOOKED at pre-cuts a few times, but they seemed to have raveling even while still in the package. Also the prices, when compared to yardage seemed a bit higher. I stay with yardage. I have a lot of fat quarters that were given to me by my sister.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 AM

I almost always buy yardage as I mostly make more modern design quilts that need fewer but larger cuts of fabric. When I first started quilting, I bought some charm packs and a couple of jelly rolls and still have most of them.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:23 AM

My stash is mostly fat quarters. I love scrappy quilts, and fat quarters are great for them. One FQ can end up in two or three quilts and still have some left over for the "official" scrap bins. I do buy yardage of good background colors (neutrals, solids, grunge, low-volume) and occasionally of a fun print that will make a good purse or tote bag. I have bought other pre-cuts for specific projects, but for my use, FQ are the way to go.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:24 AM

I love the idea of buying FQ or precuts when you travel as a way to remember that trip. I can see doing a jelly roll race or something with a jelly roll bought on vacation. I love to buy the FQs when they're on sale if I find a cool fabric that speaks to me. I always have the idea of turning them into a scrappy quilt or maybe a crazy quilt one day. When I have a project and start shopping for fabrics I seem to buy just what I need for that quilt without giving myself much wiggle room. I can see now that there is more than one reason to overbuy a bit on a fabric that I like.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:26 AM

I see all sorts of opinions here. :-) I buy mostly pre-cuts, usually on sale. But if I like the prints a lot, I will buy at regular price. They are the only way I can manage piecing quilt tops, 'cuz I have a spine that the doc said was a twisted mess, so I have to wear a back brace. I am thankful for precuts, especially Moda fabrics. It's good that we do have choices.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:00 AM

I buy both, don't have a preferece, but can say that precuts do cost more but you can shop around for deals on precuts to make them more affordable
Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 AM

I buy yardage and pre-cuts at Connecting Threads. They never charge for cutting, so I pay the same great price per yard for fat quarters, charm packs etc. as I pay for yardage. I do love CT and their quality too.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I prefer yardage.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I use to buy lots of yardage but in the last few years I buy fat quarters and layer cakes (10" squares). They fit great on my Go. For borders and backing I buy yardage or try to use the yardage I have. Layer cakes are the most useful for me. The cost isn't that much more and I have very little waste using the precuts. Cutting yardage I seem to collect scraps.