Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite pattern for leftover binding scraps >

Favorite pattern for leftover binding scraps

Favorite pattern for leftover binding scraps

Old 02-02-2015, 06:45 AM

Default Favorite pattern for leftover binding scraps

What is your favorite pattern to use up leftover strips of fabrics?
Most of my strip scraps are from binding projects and are about 2.5 inches wide.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:27 AM

I save all my leftover binding and sew it all together to use as binding on scrappy quilts. Looks great and it saves a lot of time too!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
I save all my leftover binding and sew it all together to use as binding on scrappy quilts. Looks great and it saves a lot of time too!
I have done this as well, keeping them rolled on paper towel tubes, at the ready for a fun binding on wall hangings or scrappy quilts. It's a little surprise at the end of the quilt...I love something a little unpredictable/unexpected in my projects. Keeps them "fresh" looking!
Old 02-02-2015, 09:59 AM

I saw something from Jenny Doan about placing the strips diagonally on a 10" square of her thin paper. I have been doing that with my left over binding strips. I use a Kona snow strip for my central strip. I had lots of those 2 1/2" left over binding strips. I'll soon have enough squares made from left overs to make a lovely quilt.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 AM

I save all my batting scraps, then fuse them with batting tape to use again in another project. I've made lots of placemats using leftover fabric and batting. This week I am working on a QAYG quilt, using leftover batting cut into 5" squares.
I bought 10 yards of batting about 6 months ago and am just now using the last of it. Only thing left are "schnibbles" as my Oma used to say (tiny slivers and pieces).����
Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM

There are 'tons' of strip patterns available! Cozy Quilts strip patterns are some of my fav's -- https://www.cozyquilt.com/Aspx/Produ....aspx?CatID=15 Give it a look when you have time, you might see something to inspire you!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I have used them for binding scrappy quilts or used them as 2-1/2" strips in quilts.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:52 PM

I like the jelly roll race and string quilts for these spare strips.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:41 PM

The only thing you need to be careful of is if it's been cut on the bias. They are a bit hard to handle if you are sewing two long bias pieces of 2 1/2" strips together.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:25 PM

Any scrappy block like the square in a square (I'm thinking the 9 patch one with a square in the middle and a contrasting fabric in the rest of the spaces). Chinese coins. 9 patch (either the 5/4 configuration) or all scrappy. A scrappy samples with lots of different blocks. Cut in longer strips for a jelly roll race like quilt. Any string quilt. I've used the one like Franc36 mentioned (diagonally on 10" squares), and I used phone book pages for the foundation.