Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your "must have" quilting tool? >

What is your "must have" quilting tool?

What is your "must have" quilting tool?

Old 02-14-2015, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

My go to tools are my rotary cutter (am now using the small 28mm due to arthritis), my Omnigrid mat (prefer it over the thin Olfa mat) and all my acrylic rulers and squares in most sizes. My great aunt taught me to cut out templates from cardboard, but I switched to rotary cutter as soon as they became available. Yes, there were the days when the rotary cutters, mats and acrylic rulers did not exist. I seldom pick up my scissor anymore except to clip the thread ends on my piecing.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:35 AM

You've all given me several things to consider. Shopping is going to be fun. I checked out the June Tailor tools and watched a few of her videos. Its fun to watch and see the different ways that people do things. Thanks for all of your suggestions so far.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:58 AM

I have a 5"x18" ruler that is my go to ruler. If prices are a little steep, my go to place to buy is garage sales and estate sales. You can purchase them for a couple dollars.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:24 AM

I have a nice variety of tools but the thing I need most is space (and someone to clean my house wkile I quilt).
Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 AM

Slidelock - holds the fabric down all across the WOF, no need to scoot your fingers/hand up and down the ruler!! http://quiltersslidelock.com/
Old 02-14-2015, 08:44 AM

If it is in your budget, I highly recommend an accuquilt cutter. They have a range of cutters. The dies are amazing. I have finished 2 quilts since getting mine and have not had to square them. They come out beautiful. My other 2 favorite tools are Tailor Shape Cut ruler & a long tweezers (from my serger to help guide curved pieces). Go to accuquilt .com and check out their sales and I have had good luck picking up some dies at amazon. It really is my favorite quilting investment. I should go to work for them as I am always singing their praises since getting mine for Christmas.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 AM

I have recently "upgraded" to the Martelli rotary cutter and the Martelli cutting mat and would highly recommend both. They are pricey so register at their site and wait for their sales to purchase. I also would not be without the SlideLocks now that I've learned to use them properly. Deb Tucker's tools are also pricey but worth it. All of these items have increased my accuracy and decreased "oops" moments, frustration, and "do overs". I believe they have paid for themselves when I consider ever-increasing prices for fabric and patterns and the time I've wasted over the years fiddling with stuff to "make do".
Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 AM

A very useful tool for me is a pair of tiny embroidery scissors. I put a sm adhesive hook on the side of my sewing machine to keep them close. I make a point of always returning them to hook after use. I keep another pair in front of me on my work table. So much easier than frequent picking up larger scissors.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 AM

I'm with JudyKay >>the thing I need most is space (and someone to clean my house wkile I quilt).
Old 02-14-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
If all you have is a mat and the cutter, no wonder you are not happy with it. Get a latex ruler, maybe 3 x 18 or 6 x 24 inches, and use that on the mat with your cutter. There are many online videos that demonstrate how to use a rotary cutter and ruler. It's so much faster and more accurate than scissors!
I agree, but it will be a plastic, not latex, ruler(I am guessIng that this is what she meant though). I had only the 24x6.5 ruler to use with my rotary cutter for years and made lots of quilts with just the one. I have over time acquired several others as I made quilts that they would make easier. Don't just go buy a bunch, wait until a certain one is needed. That is much more efficient use of resources. The second one I bought was a 12.5 square ruler to check blocks for square. These are still the two I use most. I have recently discovered "Glo tape" for making temporary lines on my rulers for cutting certain sizes repeatedly, makes cutting much faster since I don't have to squint to see the lines as I cut.