Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help needed with hand applique stems >

help needed with hand applique stems

help needed with hand applique stems

Old 03-18-2015, 03:34 AM

Default help needed with hand applique stems

I am trying my hand at a small hand applique project. I picked a small runner from deborah kemballs, beautiful botanicals as my first project.
I thought that it would be easier to make my stems with my clover bias binder makers. I have a problem at the seams where the fabric strips are joined. I did angled joins but they look lumpy and are hard to deal with. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with those seams? How do I make my skinny little stems look pretty?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:41 AM

Did you press your seams open or to the side? I would press open to have them lay flatter. I can't offer any other advice than that for you, unfortunately. Haven't delved into hand applique much. Maybe others have better suggestions for you.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:29 AM

I use Bias bars to make my applique stems.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
This is what I do as well. A heat resistant wire tie from NAPA works just as well and they come in a lot of different widths.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:46 AM

I agree, press seam open. That should help. I cut a bias strip approx. 1&1/2", press a little less than half. Stitch the inside curve down, flip open and trim the bottom piece back to about 1/8". Now turn under top piece and stitch. If the stem is too fat, trim a little off before turning under. This way you can make stems any width you would like. This probably doesn't make much sense but perhaps you can find a tut on you tube that will explain it better.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:21 AM

How long are you making your stems to have a seam in the middle? Or did I read that wrong? I have done a bit of applique stems and never had a seam. Try cutting a piece of fabric 1 and 1/2 inches wide and however long you need out of one piece of fabric. Follow what MarLeClair said about stitching one side down and trimming the seam allowance down and then turning the other side down and stitching it down. You'll get it.
Becky Goldsmith from Piece O Cake has several very good video tutorials on YouTube about applique. I would look at those to get some pointers. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I also use this but I avoid seams in anything that is that skinny. It will never work even with the seam pressed opened.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:57 AM

I do use the bias maker and try very hard not to have joins in an open area. If possible have the joins happen under a flower etc. I know it's not always possible but it is very difficult to camouflage a join even when doing the 1/2" bias when using the bias maker. IMHO

Trying to find a youtube which might demo it. Here's one with just the bias maker no seams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-EkfTfjRFs

This one she shows how to make long lengths of bias and the seam but doesn't show it going through the bias maker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7iTP1MSsY

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 03-18-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I also use this but I avoid seams in anything that is that skinny. It will never work even with the seam pressed opened.
What Maniac said.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 AM

I know it sounds crazy but I don't use bias tape or bars, I just back baste and needle turn my stems. Even the super skinny ones turn out well this way.

I love Beautiful Botanicals, I hope you are having fun!