Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not happy with my 8900 >

Not happy with my 8900

Not happy with my 8900

Old 03-31-2015, 03:15 AM

I will try writing to the president and see what happens. I'm trying all your recommendation's as something had to work.
I did look up my dealer and seen someone else said they never fixed her machine after they said they did.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 AM

I also had trouble with my 8900, skipping stitches and tearing thred, had it to the dealer 3 times, and was told it is the needle. Meanwhile I have learned about timing, and I start to believe it is the needle. I was ready to write to janome, but than my machine purred like a kitten, and still does, going over valleys and hills. Everything is fine now, I hope you will get it going .when it works it is a fine machine
Old 03-31-2015, 04:41 AM

I have had a Bernina for over 30 years and there is nothing I have not sewed with it - never had a timing problem. I have been considering updating my main machine and this post will definitely mark janome off my prospective list. I would hound the company - your machine is not right and they need to stand behind it!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:11 AM

I have had Janomes for 30 years. Never had a problem I have the 6600 workhose of a machine, separate motor for winding bobbins. I have the 8900, in fact two one at cabin, one home. Love the 11.5" harp space. Never had any problems with it and it is a dream for FMQ. Right out of the box, no special needle, tension, bobbin case, nothing....FMQ'd with no eyelashes the first time! Then I took it to Free Motion Bootcamp class. Changed to the needle the instructor told us to use...Microtex 90/14. Change to a Superior Thread....thread shredded, broke, then broke the needle....instructor tried to help....then I looked in the bottom of the cone thread and it said to use a different needle with this thread. Purchased it from the dealer sponsoring the class....PERFECT FREE MOTION..AGAIN.
Needle and thread have to match. LOVE MY 8900. WOULD NOT TRADE EITHER MY 6600 OR 8900.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:39 AM

Sorry about the timing, it is such a PAIN. But it sounds like it might not have been totally timed correctly when you got it back. I have a Pfaff and I had to take it in when I blew my timing too, the man that worked on it just didn't get it spot on. I would sew for a few days maybe even a week and then my timing would be out again. Fixing a sewing machine is like fixing a car, the manufacturer has guide lines for setting the timing it should be between "X and Z". Each machine (even the same models), are different they might have 6 in a row that can take the timing at "Y" but then you get the machine that wants the timing at "X and a half". This is why it's hard to change or get a new sewing machine doctor, our machines are like us each one is the same but different.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by todiesmom View Post
The pen is still mightier than the sword...do a handwritten letter to the president at the home office. Mark the envelope personal. You will probably be surprised at the results you get. Operator error is a ridiculous cop out by your dealer.
And send it certified mail with a return receipt - it may be a little costly but you will have a paper path and show them you are serious about this!

Marysewfun
Old 03-31-2015, 07:21 AM

Default Ugg

[QUOTE=Ahof;7146074]I have to take my janome

I have an older Janome as well-It is a 6500 and needs a new motor. I don't feel the services and the machine are worth it. I am looking for a new machine and it will not be a Janome.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:00 PM

It is a shame that you are having a problem. I actually threw my 8900 off and took it to the local dealer (not the one I bought it from) and they honored the warranty, even though I didn't buy from them. I may actually take it to them for servicing. Usually, when I hear a noise, it seems to be the needle, because I have had no trouble sewing over things, including the occasional pin. That said, at least I know that I bent the needle sewing over a pin, but I changed the needle and it was happy again.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:01 PM

"I have had a Bernina for over 30 years and there is nothing I have not sewed with it - never had a timing problem"

I have had a Pfaff 1209 for over 30 years too with no timing problem ever and have shortened so many pairs of blue jeans, I'm blue in the face and no problems. Same as above, there is nothing I have not sewed with it, including vinyl to make boat cushion covers. The machine did fine but I said "never again"!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:54 PM

Ugh, what a bummer! I have a 6600 and it's a good and hardworking machine. I would be really furious if I was having that much trouble with an 8900, I know that's not a cheap machine at all. Unless you're confusing sheet metal with fabric I can't imagine how it's your fault this is happening.

I THINK you can take your machine to any Janome dealer and have warranty work done, it doesn't have to be through the person you bought it from. Is there another dealer you can call or take it to?