Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
So many technical problems on the Board lately >

So many technical problems on the Board lately

So many technical problems on the Board lately

Old 03-31-2015, 06:56 AM

Default So many technical problems on the Board lately

I have been seeing so many technical computer system problems on QB recently. Some of them have happened to me; I've asked for help in the appropriate way. No response. So many invalid threads that remain on the board day after day. What's that all about?

I just blew over an hour trying to figure out how to clearly help another member with a difficulty I share, hit the "post" and received a message telling me of a system error and giving me a whole bunch of instructions that do not apply to my machine. There was no method of saving my work offered. The whole hour's effort went down the tubes. Couldn't find it saved anywhere.

Is that the basic trouble in all of this? My machine doesn't interface comfortably with the QB's system? Or is it something else? If so, what?

Looking forward to a response.

Pat
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I will sometimes get the invalid notice when a thread has been deleted by a moderator while I typed. I will also get an invalid notice if the thread has a problem from the person posting the thread. I wish I could offer some advice but I am computer illiterate and can only post from my iPad.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:44 AM
Administrator

An Invalid Thread is one that has either been:
-moved and the redirect has expired;
-merged and the redirect has expired; or
-deleted because it did not comply with policy

A closed thread is one that remains visible but can’t have new comments added.

I recommend you skip the links lists the emails lead you to.
The digests are the least efficient way to get the newest things posted.
Also, they do not update themselves when something is moved or deleted.

Go, instead, to the Home Tab, to the Archive link at the bottom of the page, or to What's New.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:19 AM

Thanks for the responses, ladies. Now that we are a little farther along, a little more clarification, please, if you would be so kind. Let's start with the invalid threads. Why does the Digest continue showing the same invalid threads day after day? Three days is the current largest number of continuous days I've noticed for showing the same invalid threads. Surely someone had something that was "valid" to say in the topic of that thread and a re-posting of the invalid thread title and subsequent notice was not necessary to use up space? Why repeat and repeat day after day?

Next, yesterday's "system error." The problem was on QB's end. The instructions referred to what I should do to achieve a way around way around the QB system error problem and then be able to rewrite and finally successfully post to the thread. Unfortunately, there was no obvious way to save my hour's worth of work and none of the instructions addressed that difficulty. My home/family are chock-a-block with Macs. It appears that by far the majority of QB subscribers do not have or use Macs and I am not surprised or horrified that the instructions I saw for the system error seemed applicable to non-Mac operating systems. Please, when next applicable, could QB make its system a little more Mac friendly? In my case, I knew what to do about the system error if I could have just figured out where the auto-save or some other, similar, feature of the QB system lurked and how to access it.

One final problem. I log in and if a few minutes pass or i go to a differnt thread I get a message that I have to log in again. This is a new issue and a rather bothersome one. Got any suggestions? It just happenned again. I tried to post this and the message came up that I needed to log in.

I appreciate the information and support from everyone on the board. Thank you very much. (I am going to try one more time to post.)

Pat
Old 04-01-2015, 06:20 AM

Hooray!!!

Pat
Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I thought that the site had crashed yesterday in the morning. I checked my computer and went to another site. I then came back a few minutes later and everything was OK. It takes a lot of time and patience to keep this site up and running smoothly. So many computer and tablets, it is hard to keep things smoothly working. I am on XP with my computer and I don't have any problems posting photos. You can always send a PM to PatricaJ but be very specific with all the details she will need to help you.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I come to the main quiltingboard site since the Daily Digest does not have every thread that is available.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Administrator

since you did not say what the "system error" was, i cannot be sure it was on the QB end.
we haven't had any technical errors in ages that interfere with posting.

as to the invalid threads ...
those are the fault of users who don't read the rules or who don't put things where they belong in the first place.

i will always recommend against relying on the digest lists.
they are absolutely, unequivocally, the least efficient way to stay current here.