Teddy Bear patterns

Old 03-30-2015, 06:05 AM

Default Teddy Bear patterns

Hello, I was asked if I would be interested in making a Teddy Bear(s) from the clothes of a friends grandmother who passed away a few years ago. I had never made a teddy bear before, so I am a little curious. I do have a Simplicity Sewing Pattern 9524. But I don't know how difficult this is... and I wonder if some patterns are better than others. Does anyone here have experience making teddy bears? Any suggestions or pattern suggestions?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:15 AM

I have made one very similar to that and it was pretty easy. Just don't get one with the arms/legs separately attached or you will be in for a whole lot more work
Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 AM

ok thanks..... I hope its not too difficult!!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

if you get separate arms and legs, you DON'T have to put joints in. hot glue the arms and legs on.
I do minis about 3 1/3-4" high ones, and glue on the head and arms and legs and tie a pretty ribbon around the neck. Sometimes, I've done as 20 mini memory bears, and this is how I do them. good luck, show us what you do. don't forget to stuff them firmly.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:29 AM

hhmmm... joints.. that is a scary thought I am going to have to look at my pattern again this evening and see. Where do you think the best place to get the stuffing is? Amazon?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 PM

I have made the rabbit by that pattern and I thought it was quite easy. It does not have jointed arms and legs, and even the head does not have to be sewed on separately. I have made other bears with many pieces so I think this one is the easiest. Good luck -- they are rather fun. The rabbit I made I wanted it to be very floppy so I didn't put much stuffing in him. My granddaughter loved it to death -- (it finally got so worn out it had to go in the garbage).
Old 03-31-2015, 05:34 AM

quiltingshe - thanks for your reply... makes me feel a little better. I have not had time to dig into it yet but I hope to soon
Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 AM

Most of the animal patterns are not all that difficult, just read it through and make it step by step. They are fun to make, also just be sure to really pack your stuffing full
Old 03-31-2015, 03:49 PM

Once upon a time I ordered a 50 lb. box of fiber fill from Factory Direct. At the time I was really into making animals. Needless to say, I still have most of the stuffing & it sure comes in handy, at this time in my life, as I live over 1 hr. travel time to the closest fabric store.
I used Simplicity pattern called "CAROLS ZOO" 2 pc pattern. each front is 1/2 of front. Each back is 1/2 of back. You cut 2 fronts & 2 backs, sew center seams- than sew front to back. Very easy. Just read all instructions carefully. If you larger animals, I took mine to the local copier & had them enlarged. Also had them made smaller than pattern pieces.
Good luck to you. I enjoyed making mine.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 AM

I am making one for my sister-in-law and niece and nephew in the near future. My DMIL passed away in January. I have googled Memory Bear and found all sorts of patterns and tutorials that I plan to use. They don't seem too difficult. I am also using the buttons from her clothes for the eyes.