Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do my needles bend >

Why do my needles bend

Why do my needles bend

Old 07-13-2015, 05:00 PM

I bought the John James and while they are easier to thread, I can still break them. Local handquilters have convinced me to try the Roxannes on the next project. Many of the Dear Jane retreat gals also recommended the Roxannes. I have not heard of Tulip. I looked them up on google and found sashiko and embroidery needles, a couple called Hiroshima needles. Pink castle fabrics had a pack but they are sold out that included several types of quilting needles.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:07 PM

I found them---they are the Hiroshima ones. United notions (Moda) carries the line. A promo is available on youtube that explains the process. Interesting! I'll have to check them out. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 PM

First, your quilt might be to tight in your hoop. The second is try a different quilting needle brand. I have tried John James betweens and found that they bend way to easily for me. I use Roxanne betweens and never had any bending problems.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:43 AM

I bend needles when I'm stressed. My grip is way too much at times.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 AM

I also like the Tulip needles. I haven't used them for quilting but, really like them for applique. Karen K. Buckley sells them on her website.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 AM

I am the renegade!! As a beginner, you may it very hard to use and do what many have done for years. Do not start on a precious heirloom. I started hand quilting while waiting to take a class. I used whatever I had available, including any needle in the pincushion. I also found I do not like using a hoop. I quilt in my lap. There are several videos out on the how-to's of hoopless. Try to keep the thread reasonable, even though it is tempting to use a longer one so you don't have to thread so often. Don't, instead load several needles. Ad last but not least, just do a little at a time, your hands will thank you. And no matter how awful it is take pictures, close pictures with a ruler to show those stitches, so you can compare next year and see how you have improved!! One more, your flannel backing may be making it harder than a cotton backing. Good Luck, I know once you get comfortable, you will LOVE it!!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:51 PM

I, too, bent needles when I was learning to hand quilt, but as I learned, I learned to relax, use a well-fitting thimble (Tommie Lane) the proper thread, and waxing my thread, the bent needle problem resolved.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
I bend needles too, don't hand quilt, but do a lot of hexies, and I think it's because I hold them soooo tight sometimes, maybe anxiety! LOL!
Yep me too!! LOL
Old 07-14-2015, 07:48 PM

My needles want to bend also, but I have found that if I use a bent needle, it fits my hold just perfect.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by gmasandee View Post
My first attempt at hand quilting. My needles bend within the first few stitches. I have been using betweens and tried different sizes of Dritz and John James brands. What am I doing wrong? I so want to enjoy this and so far have only been frustrated.
From one needle bender to another- I bend mine because I grip them very tight. Have never used a hand sewing needle that was not bent by the time I was done. Drove my grandmother nuts. She made me buy my own.