If your LAer sees something "odd" - >

If your LAer sees something "odd" -

If your LAer sees something "odd" -

Old 08-31-2015, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Default If your LAer sees something "odd" -

This is a spin-off from this thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t269366.html

If you sent a top to a long-armer and then he/she spots something that seems to be an anomaly/mistake - or the borders are extremely wavy - or there is a bulge in the center - or something that "some" people might think should/could be changed -

What would you want the LAer to do?

1) Call you and ask you about it?

(and risk getting yelled at for being a member of the quilt police)
(How the question is phrased does matter - - - - )

2) Just go ahead and quilt it and assume that what was sent was intended?

3) To go ahead and "fix" it without asking you?

(My choice would be #1 - but I have run across people that do not like to be questioned)
Old 08-31-2015, 01:51 PM

I myself have never used a LAer. I quilt on my DM. But if I ever did send something out I would appreciate being called and asked about it. Like what happened the previous thread, sometimes things you don't intend just slip through the crack
Old 08-31-2015, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I would want to know. My cousin is a long armer. I sent her a message about same post. She has had anomalies/mistakes in some of the quilts sent to her. She calls them outsiders. She usually takes a photo and sends by text for a quick response. They usually ask if she can fix it and thank her for it. after having done this for quite awhile she knows her customers and friends. She states she never takes it for granted. like the saying goes "If in doubt, check it out." Most definitely if a new customer and then always for the regulars. I would want to know. Nothing wrong with fresh eyes and quilt police don't fall in this catergory. That's a whole new breed. And you want your money's worth!!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

if anyone noticed a mistake, i'd love to have it pointed out to me. even if the quilt is finished, i'd have to fix it... just the way i like to do things
Old 08-31-2015, 03:15 PM

I tend to see mistakes from a distance more than up close. Depending on the person, I will mention it. Some would prefer to fix a boo boo. Others are more casual quilters and accept these as human imperfections or as I prefer to call them , personality traits of the quilt
Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM

I would definitely want to know. I would so appreciate a call or email so I could decide before it was quilted. Sure, my quilts have imperfections, but I would like to fix as many as possible.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:11 PM

I would definitely want to know. It's much easier to fix BEFORE it's quilted.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:41 PM

I would be mad if she is #3. I would be okay with #2. I would prefer #1 (I love the off-beat & really, even if I made a boo-boo, I'm not sure I'd pull my entire quilt top apart to "fix" it).

But that's my opinion as someone who hasn't used a LA'er yet. I guess if I used one on a regular basis, I would hope she would get to know my work.

Either way, I'd be nervous to yell at a LA'er I planned to use again. As it is, I got upset with an EXTREMELY rude embroiderer who messed up a clearly labeled job (I even labeled the fabric itself with what I wanted) & then tried to put the blame on me ... and after I've sent him several customers over the past year. Now I'm scared to go pick-up the re-do. Who knows what it will look like?!

Now, wavy borders or bulges or something that cannot be quilted out, I would expect the LA'er to bring up when I brought the quilt to her. If for some reason she didn't, I would want an apology & a call letting me know that these issues would affect the final results of the quilting & did I still want her to go ahead and quilt it, doing the best she could to highlight my work with her quilting.

Last edited by Bree123; 08-31-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:01 PM

Okay, I am not a LAer, nor have I sent a quilt out to be done, BUT in my perhaps objectionable opinion, does this not fall under the old adage of Customer service?
If I do something for someone and get paid to do so, then it is my responsibility to do the best I can every time I do it. If I saw a mistake BEFORE I started quilting, then would it not be good customer service to phone and ask the person if this was part of the quilt, would they like to have it back to repair/fix it or would they like me to go ahead and do the job as planned. I make enough mistakes on my own, and I am one of those who will re-do until I am happy. To have it quilted over without a question asked, would not make me a repeat customer.
Also, as I understand it from being a member of this board, many of the LA quilters that are good, are so busy that it takes a while to get on their schedule as well as get your item back. I understand busy schedules, but I would believe that you could move one quilt forward while the other one is being repaired, and then slip the repaired quilt in where the other quilt was scheduled.???

Happy quilting,
Susan
Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM

Perhaps the LA should let the quilter know that he/she will call if there is something that appears out of place on the quilt.

I don't think any LA should 'fix' a quilt for a client. See the first paragraph.