Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend? >

Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend?

Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend?

Old 10-03-2015, 02:19 PM

Default Which Vintage Zigzag Machine Would You Recommend?

I have several vintage straight stitch machines, but would love to have one that has a zigzag stitch and, if possible, a blanket stitch. I have looked at a Touch and Sew but have read tons of mixed reviews, so a little gun shy on that. Is there one T&S model that was more reliable? What other machines would you recommend?
TIA
Old 10-03-2015, 02:52 PM

I love my Kenmores!!
Old 10-03-2015, 02:57 PM

There are two models from the 1930s, a heavy cast iron (I think) Bernina and the Pfaff 130, owners still like them but it's only straight stitch and zigzag, all metal solid work horses like the old straight sitchers. I think they look so cool, I have not yet seen this Bernina model for sale anywhere, but I want one

After WWII the free arms make their introduction; aluminum body, and a bit lighter. Berninas first is straight stich and zigzag only, it's a very nice machine. Bernina's first with built in cams is the 530 Record, it has a lot of stitches, nice machine introduced in 1954. It runs quiet and smooth, stitch quality is very nice with satin stitch fine tuning. There are a few models in the 500 number series, they are all the same quality machine but with more or less stitch patterns, and only the 530 has the buttonholer. I can vouch for the 1960s 730 Record too, I have this one at the moment, it's a favorite.

There are lots of nice models though, Necchi BU, Necchi Supernova. The early Elna Supermatics are worth noticing, they have a bit more advanced stitches than the Bernina due to the double cams. Pfaff have nice dependable machines from the 50s and 60s too. The blue Husqvarna models from the 50s are often under rated, I think the model numbers are 19 and 21, there might be closly related models very similar.

Before Touch & Sew Singer's 401,403, 404, etc. they can easily be under rated. All metal machines of a standard hardly seen since (all metal gears and made to last). I think one or two models in the 500 series are all metal geared too. There are quite a few of them around and these are in my view worth spedning a bit of time and money on. Singer's T&S are a bit later, with fancy functions like winding the bobbin with out taking the bobbin out of the case, transparent bobbins. A nice example are well worth some tlc, but I haven't owned and fixed up one my self, so I don't really know. There are in plenty though. If you choose a model from the 70s quality varies more than on older machines, and there are too many models to keep count of. By the late 50s plastic gears are gradually introduced, but the know brands generally make lasting quality machines most of the 1960s. Plastic gears doesn't have to be a big worry, but some type of plastic has turned out not to last that long. I don't think they really new at the time it was made, and they took the chance. Some models will need gear replacements because of this.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-03-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Singer 223 or 237 are some simple zig zag all metal models that are good choices and pretty inexpensive to find.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:51 PM

1973 Elna62C, the blue one, is my favorite, but I have a Montgomery Wards from the early 70s that I can't complain about. I only keep it because it has one cam the Elna doesn't have and I want to make a quilt with it someday.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Banned

My personal favorites are the mid 1950s to mid 1960s Brother machines. There are several models that suit your needs, the Flairmatic, Select O Matic, Riviera, Prestige, etc...
They are bomb proof tanks. My moms 1964 Prestige has sewn everything from satin dresses to car interiors and still runs like it's new. I'd choose a Japanese machine over a Touch N Sew or a 400/500 series Singer just for the ease of use. I don't have patience for fiddly machines.

Cari
Old 10-04-2015, 02:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I'd choose a Japanese machine over a Touch N Sew or a 400/500 series Singer just for the ease of use. I don't have patience for fiddly machines. Cari
Cari, 400 and 500 aren't terribly fiddly. I like them be cause they are simple. The simpler of the series are the 403, 503 and 603 but do take disks for all the variety stitches including zz. The Singer 600 and 603 still have metal gears and can be found fairly cheap since T&S have bad reputations. If you do get one get a manual and follow it and it won't have such a bad reputation with you. There are other T&S machines but they do have plastic gears. That isn't the end of the world since the gears can be changed out. Some have rubber teeth. Those can be changed out, too. Some people have those machines and love them. They are inexpensive so why not try one out. The other good thing is that there is repair information if you google. There are some machines with the little froggy (328) eye on them. These are inexpensive, very easy to use and maintain. The 319 & 306 are very cool. (The 206 is cool too but doesn't do anything other than zz.)

That said I've had some European machines and loved them. They are a bit more money and a bit more intricate. There are some vintage Viking machines out there very cheap but they have a cam stack that tends to die. Other European machines have nylon gears and I have destroyed a few of gears by sewing.... I think the gears go instead of something else when there is too much stress. Some of us need an industrial machine...

Cari is right the Japanese machines are like tanks and easy to use. Some have neat sets of cams. Some have cam stacks. Check to make sure the camstack isn't cracked if it is plastic. There are some Kenmore's that are very much worth having. BUT a lot of people don't like the needle on the left. I think it depends on what you are going to use the machine for. If all you do is use it for zz or decorative stitches you won't know the difference. If you are piecing a quilt block it will be hard to sew a 1/4 in seam unless it has a centered needle. Then there are some Japanese machines that have a selection of left, center or right for the needle position. If you get a Kenmore find an old one. Heavy but more unique stitches IMHO. Some of the later ones get stuck in reverse but you might get lucky and find a very cool machine. Then there are some old White machines made like tanks, too. Very nice machines! We haven't begun to cover all the neat old zz machines.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:17 AM

Singer U20 for satin stitch
Old 10-04-2015, 05:15 AM

Lovelyl, what else do you look for in a vintage model? For me it is the durable and dependable qualities. I like the all metal gears from the 50s and earlier, but I have to admit my favorite at the moment actually has a plastic gear and there has been no problem with it in 50+ years. All the models with cams have a blanket stitch, it shouldn't be a difficult requirement. I like a quiet running machine, but regarding noise I'm fine with most models when they are cleaned and lubricated. I don't do much top speed sewing, except for my old 201 which isn't that fast. I like the look of some older machines too, but some of the favorite models look at best intersting if not slightly ugly LOL (Singer 401!). I am convinced Bernina 500 and 700 numbers would be much more popular if it came in a different color, but they are superb stitchers in my experience. To be called vintage there aren't very strict rules, but for me the 70's is sort of the last decade for me, preferably earlier. I usually look a domestic machines too, a few industrials have cought my interest, but some of them are large and heavy like nothing else (a Pfaff 30 comes off as a medium weight in comparison). There are lots of nice new machines too, but they aren't vintage
:- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-04-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
I have several vintage straight stitch machines, but would love to have one that has a zigzag stitch and, if possible, a blanket stitch. I have looked at a Touch and Sew but have read tons of mixed reviews, so a little gun shy on that. Is there one T&S model that was more reliable? What other machines would you recommend?
TIA
I had a Touch n Sew 626 from the 60's and loved it and sewed all my clothes for many, many years with it. In fact I just gave it away because a friend needed a machine for her daughter. We did have to replace the plastic gears once or twice but it was very simple and my husband did it. The biggest problem at the time was convincing the local Singer store to order them for us.