Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki machines >

Juki machines

Juki machines

Old 03-21-2016, 01:09 PM

I love my Juki TL2010q, but just use it as a DSM, not on a frame. Wonderful, powerful machine, very reliable!!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:14 PM

Other than price, or accessibility, what would be a reason to use a sit down machine without a frame?

Without a frame and a way to move the machine, don't you then have to moose the quilt around the same way I do on my Janome regular DSM?

I think the moosing the quilt around is part of my problems becoming adept at FQM - lack of dexterity with managing quilt under needle properly. I do ok on practice squares but have trouble with a large quilt. I have been looking at the Juki model the original poster is speaking of, and it looks good and gets a lot of recommendations from the Board.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:50 PM

I have a Juki 2010, and I love it. It's fantastic for piecing, and as others have said, it is also great for free motion quilting (and walking foot, too, for that matter). I highly recommend setting it into a table for a nice flat quilting surface - I have a SewEzi - not expensive at all, and highly portable for retreats and such. For managing the bulk of the quilt while FMQ, you need support both behind the machine and to the left. I bought a couple of folding tables from Amazon - 20x48 inches behind, and 20x30 to the left. I have the whole setup in a corner so that the quilt can't fall off either to the left or to the rear. Works great!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:42 PM

I bought the juki 2000 last year. Love it! I don't have it on a frame-no space- but hope to at some point
Old 03-22-2016, 04:00 AM

SueSew: me, too! Main reason I am looking for a beginning longarm. The 9" throat working down to a 3" space is bothersome, though....hm....
Old 03-22-2016, 04:05 AM

I start with the 9 inch throat and within 6 months paid for an 18 inch throat. The Juki is a wonderful workhorse but not on a quilting frame.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:55 AM

Another thing to try if you're FMQ on a domestic - look up Leah Day's video on how she modifies her hopping foot. It made all the difference in the world for me. I went from months of ugly practice sandwiches to quilting that I'm willing to show off (not perfect, but darned good) in a matter of days once I modified my foot. Leah shows you how to make the foot not hop but glide over the fabric, and also to open the toe to improve visibility.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 AM

I have juki with a grace frame love them.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:22 AM

I used a TL Juki 98Q (predecessor to the 2010) on a Gracie lite frame for several years. It is definitely not a longarm but even on a queen size quilt I never had only 3" of quilting space. I use only warm and natural batting though, so a thicker batting would result in a smaller quilting area. On longer quilts (like a queen) I would have a little less than 5" space on the last two or three passes. You just have to plan for that.

If the Juki was what my budget allowed I would NOT hesitate to purchase one. I purchased from Ken's Sewing Center in fall 2009. When I sold the machine and frame in spring of 2015 I sold it for $25 more than I paid for it, but I did include extra bobbins, cloth leaders, a light, etc (about $100 cost total). I wanted to keep the machine to have a spare for piecing but as a condition of getting my new longarm I had promised DH that I would sell it. I also own a Juki HZL‑F600 that I use almost daily for piecing. I got a great deal on it also. You really can't beat the value offered by a Juki!

Last edited by NanaInVirginia; 03-22-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:41 AM

I have the 2010 and the F600. I love them both for different reasons. I FMQ on the 2010 and the
600 does all the fancy stitches etc. I can piece on either one and I can't say enough about both
of them. The 2010 is a real workhorse and it likes any kind of thread and I never have to adjust
the tension, for the most part. They are great machines for the price. You can't beat them.