Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Fabric Storage Dilemma >

Fabric Storage Dilemma

Fabric Storage Dilemma

Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 PM

I don't think there's such a thing as "one best way" unless it's the one that always works for you. I'm always tweaking my organization as stash grows or needs change. I kind of enjoy the evolution of it, finding new solutions to problems.

I didn't inherit the neat gene either . It goes against my grain to be in a mess, but that doesn't mean it comes naturally to tidy up. That's discipline or it's the saving of my sanity!

I have found one thing that really helps, and that's storing fabric folded in drawers or bins with the fold up. Seeing my choices at a glance is really fun and invigorating. Stays neater longer.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:16 PM

I have been folding my fabric, more than one yard on to the comic book boards and put them in my bookcase that has sliding doors (bookcase is from Sauder, Barnister type). I can see the colors now more than ever and it is organized. I have lots of 1/2- 3/4 yard ones so I plan to cut my boards in half like someone here stated. I plan on buying the IKEA Kallax that has a total of 25 cubes. I'm going to look at the Billy bookcases though since those have doors and the Kallax doesn't. I digress, the kallax does but one has to pay for each door and it is not see through .
Old 05-11-2016, 05:56 PM

1/2 yds or less I put on fat qtr bds which are cut from comic bds to 5 x 5 1/2
Old 05-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Auj

OK. I bought comic book boards from Amazon and will soon have time to wrap and organize my cupboard. I have a feeling that pictures will be in order and I'll let you know how I like it.

I figure that if I don't like using the comic book boards, they will be great to use for art projects at school. Win-win!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:00 AM

I have my stash on open shelving sorted by color. When I pull a pile of fabric and don't feel like putting it back where it belongs, I have a basket next to the stash shelves that I put the pile into to. When I feel like straightening up my sewing room, I put the fabric from the basket back where it belongs.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:47 PM

I've found that if I can see it, I'm more likely to organize it. I've put all of my fabric onto cut down postal shipping boxes... free from the post office (gotta love that). Then I display the mini bolts like my own little fabric shop... organize by color and hue... when they were in totes things just got dumped in. I never really knew what I had... if you force yourself to do it you'd be surprised at how much time you save... organizing is an investment that pays off sooner than you would think. It takes me so much less time to design now that I'm organized. Before, I was more likely to buy new fabric than rummage through bins hoping to find what I needed.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
For me putting my fabric on comic book boards on shelves works best. It's like mini bolts of fabric and makes it really easy to see what I have, pull the one I want out and put it back.
For those of you who use these boards for mini-bolt looking shelves....I love the idea. But I am not sure I'd have more than a yard or two at most of each fabric left, so not sure that would be the best way for me. Yes I have 4-5 stacks of fabric for backing, so those would probably make good bolts, but are they only good for when you have a larger amount left?

lol@me. I just read the rest of the posts....smaller boards. Lord have mercy! I need tea.
Or any other way to get caffeine into my bod.