Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have You Unintentionally Injured Your Sewing Machine? >

Have You Unintentionally Injured Your Sewing Machine?

Have You Unintentionally Injured Your Sewing Machine?

Old 07-30-2016, 11:15 AM

Years ago I was doing a "quick get the living room cleared out for company coming" and didn't take the buttonhole attachment off the machine before setting it next to the wall beside my bed. Accidentally tripped over it a bit later and shoved it against the wall and apparently bent the needle shaft as it no longer lined up with the hole in the throat plate. At that time I could not find a repair person easily (no internet and trying to call yellow pages lookup for surrounding towns was not a simple task either.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:13 PM

I broke one of the little teeth that hold the bobbin faceplate on, on my old machine. Just plain careless impatience. I used it like that for years. If I was using a heavy fabric every once in a while it would slide off....With my new machine I'm VERY careful.

Watson
Old 07-30-2016, 01:04 PM

Let's see, the VX560 once got a burr put into the shuttle hook that caused some problems until I took it apart and using a metal file removed the burr. I think that happened while I was stitching on some thin metal to make some decorative additions to an art quilt.

The PC420PRW somehow got a huge chunk taken out of the shuttle hook on the drop in bobbin case, but it kept on sewing just fine. I thought it didn't look right, but since it sewed fine I kept using it. My tech said she couldn't believe that it kept sewing like that. Not only did it keep sewing, but it sewed beautiful stitches including all the decorative stitches. I did replace that part, just in case. LOL

I've never had a finicky sewing machine, all 4 of mine seem to take pretty much whatever I throw at them...but then again, I've never used fray check in place of oil--

Rob <object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 AM

About fifteen years ago I bought my first computerized machine, a Janome 4800. It was a huge improvement over my Kenmore, and brought me into the world of FMQ. I typically would use it on a folding utility table, which seemed to work great. One day I put up the table but for some reason failed to secure the legs properly with the safety rings. I placed my machine on one end if it, and the other end of the table collapsed, my machine slid all the way down the table, and bounced onto the hardwood floor. I was always leery about the machine after that, and when I inherited some money I immediate bought a Janome 6600 with table that the machine sits down into. The 4800 was delegated to our Florida condo, and has been used every year in the winter with no problem. I get the regular maintenance done, of course, and it has never let me down. That's my story I'm adding to the mix!
Old 07-31-2016, 11:13 AM

I broke one of my feet the other day when I tried to use the wrong stitch setting and the needle hit the foot. It didn't seem to hurt my Janome.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:39 PM

If you are traveling with your electronic machine, be sure and pad it well. The bumps from the road can cause problems. Not an issue with older machines.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

I took the bobbin shuttle out in the wrong order when cleaning. Had to take her in for service and the young man explained that it was user error. Learned the hard way.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Fray Check is a poor substitute for sewing machine oil.
Ha, I almost did this today....the bottles look alike.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:34 PM

Jackie
I sew with a vintage Kenmore 8 stitch. This is a heavy tank of a machine.
I have used this machine for 27 years. I have broken needles. Used the
wrong thread a time or two. But my machine has never failed me.
I enjoy my machine and quilt almost everyday on it. I would like to have
a machine like some of you ladies have, but this machine is all I have.
If you enjoy quilting and sewing, go ahead and do it.
Accidents happen. If something brakes get fixed it.
Enjoy your machine, and learn to be a little more careful.
Every sewer makes mistakes. We learn and go on
Old 07-31-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by jackiequilts4fun View Post
The D1, if I recall, says not to use oil.

I know that my latest machine, the Viking Prelude, also says no oil.

Do you use a drop of oil anyway?
Or not?

I do try to remember to clean my machine between sewing projects with a good dusting & cleaning out of the bobbin area.
I have never put a drop of oil in my Vikings they are sealed so oil doesn't do any good