Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
5-Minute Quilt Block >

5-Minute Quilt Block

5-Minute Quilt Block

Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 PM

Default 5-Minute Quilt Block

I have watched Suzanne McNeill's video, the 5-Minute Quilt Block, several times. The blocks appear to be 5"X10" and they all seem to be the same size. However, the "triangle" that is formed (when the three pieces are sewn together as instructed) seems to be a bit shorter when opened up. I found one video that said one should cut the block that forms the triangle 5 1/4" X 10" to compensate for the problem. MY problem is that I want to use the Jolly Bar (available, evidently, only at Fat Quarter Shop) rectangles to make a quilt using the 5-Minute Quilt Block method because they are pre-cut to 5"X10". SO, since it appears that McNeill can make this work out with rectangles cut the same size, this is my question: Can I make the 5"X10" Jolly Bar rectangles work?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-28-2016, 11:47 PM
Gay

Just watched her video, love the tecnique. Someone else had the same problem. Haven't tried it yet, but will the shortfall not disappear when the blocks are sewn together? Perhaps you need to take a smidge off the sides of the larger pieces after sewing up the block.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

The cutting chart in the book has the correct cutting size for all size blocks plus the size to cut the middle piece for each one. The book is very inexpensive and has nice patterns for this block.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I bought the book but, have not made any thing from it. I need to remember to try it.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:14 AM

Missouri star quilt company also has a video called One seam flying geese using 10 squares.... She cut them in half....
Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

The middle section is the one that is cut a different size then the outside part to get a perfect alignment.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:15 PM

I would try it with some scrap fabric first. I have a couple of Jolly Bars so let us know how it comes out. Going to watch it now.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by mountainwoman View Post
I have watched Suzanne McNeill's video, the 5-Minute Quilt Block, several times. The blocks appear to be 5"X10" and they all seem to be the same size. However, the "triangle" that is formed (when the three pieces are sewn together as instructed) seems to be a bit shorter when opened up. I found one video that said one should cut the block that forms the triangle 5 1/4" X 10" to compensate for the problem. MY problem is that I want to use the Jolly Bar (available, evidently, only at Fat Quarter Shop) rectangles to make a quilt using the 5-Minute Quilt Block method because they are pre-cut to 5"X10". SO, since it appears that McNeill can make this work out with rectangles cut the same size, this is my question: Can I make the 5"X10" Jolly Bar rectangles work?

Thanks for any advice!
From what I saw, it sounds like the middle block has to be 1/4 inch larger. To use your jolly bar fabric, wouldn't you have to cut down the two outer pieces by 1/4 inch. That's just my thinking on it. Like someone suggested, try a sample block first to see what happens.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:55 AM
Jim

using the 5 inch measurement doesn't matter on the center square...use it consistently with all the blocks and you will be fine...my wife and I have use 5 inch centers every time we make this block...try a few out and you will see it really doesn't matter