Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
House plants, do you have any? >

House plants, do you have any?

House plants, do you have any?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:23 PM

I have a very dark brown thumb...but I do have 2 houseplants, neither one is "show" quality. A spider plant that doesn't have any spiders and a phylodendron which is tiny. I can't even "grow" fake plants, that's how bad I am! LOL
Old 08-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I have a Hawaiian Green "Lucky" Ti plant that is close to 25 years old. It is one of those dead looking sticks in a plastic bag, you buy at K-Mart or garden shops. You shove the stick in some soil and wait. My DM gave me the stick. This plant is so beautiful and when you handle the leaves it smells divine. It looks kind of like a tall grass, about 2'. This is my favorite house plant, she is very neat and tidy and is a very sweet reminder of my mom.

I also have two Jade plants that were left in the house when I bought it so they are about 18yrs old now. They were about 5" tall when I took over being responsile for them and are now over
2.5' tall. They are sappy and drop the sticky stuff all around the area they live in.

A Mother of thousands which I got by taking some plantlets off one growing in a street pot. They have a beautiful bloom, dusty rose color.

Several Christmas cactus in different colors.

Former owners also left a couple of small cactus (which are not my favorites) and they are about 3' tall now. DH loves them, I don't. House plants shouldn't be hurtie.

Violets on window sills along with miniature roses.

I love my Snake plant or Sansevieria as it is known.

Well this was fun. Taking inventory on my house plants. More than I thought.

peace
Old 08-31-2016, 06:20 PM

I come from a long line of house plant keepers. When I moved away from home, I vowed no plants for me... I lasted 6 months before I got my first house plant!
Old 08-31-2016, 06:44 PM

I moved into a house that does not seem to like house plants (at my old house I had 30 orchids, 4 hoya, assorted African violets, Christmas cacti...). I am currently nursing cuttings of a hoya that I got from my mother's old neighbor -- she got the plant as a wedding present in 1902. Fortunately, there is one other person I know who has a plant and she said she will give me one if I can't get the cuttings to root. It makes me sick -- I had orchids and African violets blooming all year around and I loved it. This is the second place in almost 50 years of marriage that has presented a real challenge to growing house plants, but I don't plan to give up.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:45 PM

I have a small sun room at the end of my sewing room, so I have lots of house plants. Too many to list.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:31 PM

I haven't had any live plants in the house for about 10 years. Our house doesn't have the right kind of light, and I got tired of taking care of them.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:08 PM

I have one Christmas Cactus that blooms in November.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:59 PM

I need to pick your brain on Orchids...
My house is too dark for most plants..
Kirsten
Old 08-31-2016, 11:53 PM
Jim

I have always had many many houseplants...my wife and I, love flowers, inside and out. Before we had kids in the 5 yrs after we first married(42+ yrs ago) we had over 200 African violets but with kids came more responsibility and lots less plants. We have always and always will have lots of them...My oldest plant now is a Drunkards dream cactus...not like a prickly cactus, more like a succulent that thrives on being ignored...it's often referred to as a bottle cactus because the branches resemble bottles. I got it from my eldest sister 45 yrs ago and it's done nothing but thrive...from a tiny 2 inch piece to pots and pots of flowing beautiful plants( it's esp dear to me more than ever now sine my sister passed away[at age 62] from early onset Alzheimer's, just 5 months after Mom passed from the same dreaded disease)...the assortment of indoor plants are too many to list as are the flowers in the 21 beds we have outside...Last year...6 weeks after having a heart attack we participated in the area's Home and garden tour, which was a real treat. Having well over 300 people walk through and enjoy our gardens.....I esp love roses daylilies, hostas but have 100's of all kinds

Last edited by Jim; 09-01-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:31 AM
Evy

Talk about a "light bulb" moment! We were gone for a couple months and two different neighbors took my plants home to care for. They not only thrived, but looked amazing. One neighbor has plain old well water, the other watered them from the overflow from her window a/c unit. We have a water softener system. It makes sense that water full of salt would not be good for plants. Kind of makes me wonder what it's doing to our insides! Thanks for your post. Guess I'll collect rainwater or buy distilled water now.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have lots of house plants and am always looking for more. I once thought I had a black thumb, but discovered it was because I was watering with softened water. Once I quit doing that, the plants started surviving.