Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cotton thread for embroidery machine? >

Cotton thread for embroidery machine?

Cotton thread for embroidery machine?

Old 09-07-2016, 04:17 PM

Default Cotton thread for embroidery machine?

I own a babylock embroidery machine and I was told by the dealer (several yrs ago) not to use cotton thread in the machine because of lint build-up. Of course I have ray and polyrayon and I've seen some beautiful lace does with cotton thread on embroidery machines. Has anyone ever had this problem using cotton thread (30wt or 50 wt) when embroidering? and what kind of cotton thread do you use? Thanks for any input.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:12 PM

I have not used it but I don't know why you couldn't. There are Battenberg lace designs you can get and it calls for cotton thread (30 - 35 weight).

Maybe the dealer wasn't counting on you cleaning your machine after completing the project.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:42 AM

I have used the sulky cotton threads in my embroidery machine(pfaff) for lace and other embroideries as well.
I clean my bobbin area at every bobbin change and take my machine to the dealer on the recommended schedule and have never had a problem from it.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:27 AM

Thank you for your responses. I thought the same and I do clean the bobbin area. Quilting candy I have battenbger lace designs that calls for the cotton thread and would love to try these. I'll look for the cotton thread on my next visit to Joann's.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:15 AM

This surprises me. When I purchased my Brother embroidery machine, I also purchased a cotton thread collect made by or for Brother, along with the poly thread collection. I've never had any problem with using cotton thread in it.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I've never had a problem. sounds like your dealer doesn't sell cotton threads and doesn't want you buying from someone else.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:19 PM

I used 50 and 60 weight cotton threads in heirloom embroidery (baptism gowns for my grandchildren). I used designs from Martha Pullen, and they were no trouble. I did use a 65/9 needle because I was embroidering on extremely fine batiste, starched so stiff to would stand up on its own. I also used a water soluble stabilizer. The embroideries were beautiful and I had no machine problems at all. High quality cotton thread won't lint much (I used Madeira thread designed for heirloom sewing). However there are cotton threads that are a lint disaster! Make sure you use long staple cotton.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:44 AM

Aurifil can be used for machine embroidery.
sandy
Old 09-11-2016, 06:17 AM

I use cotton thread depending on what my needs are, I've even had it mixed with rayons in a design when the only color of thread that came close was cotton. I've even used serger thread when making free standing lace easter baskets or ornaments. I didn't want to spend a fortune on rayon for something that wouldn't last long because it was for the kids. I had to go up to a size 90 sharp needle and use 2 layers of stabilizers and slow it down for the FSL but it did a great job. I made the baskets with varigated thread so they turned out really well. I brush mine out alot anyways which is the main thing you have to do. It was a learning curve trying to get the serger thread to work but once I did it was so worth it and saved lots of money in thread. I've also used the Aurifil thread which is lower in lint anyways.