Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Easy Way to Peel Boiled Eggs >

Easy Way to Peel Boiled Eggs

Easy Way to Peel Boiled Eggs

Old 09-10-2016, 12:17 PM

I'm with Bjbaxter, it's hit or miss, but I do seem to have better luck if I crack the egg from the biggest end.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:46 PM

I think I stumbled on a trick when I made deviled eggs for Labor Day. Eggs were purchased 2 weeks ahead to insure "age", salt in water, no crowding when placed in pan, some salt for good luck haha, bring just to boil, then shut off heat and cover for 20 minutes.
Drain off hot water, put in big bowl of ice water, then crack shells to loosen.

Now here's where I learned the trick - I peeled one to make sure they were good and it was perfect. But I put the rest in a plastic bag so they would be ready to peel the next morning for the picnic.
The only one that peeled easy the next day HAD NOT BEEN CRACKED the day before so I think the trick is crack them only when you are ready to peel them.

At least they tasted good... LOL
Old 09-10-2016, 02:53 PM

I have tried all of these things to peel boiled eggs. Non of them seem to work consistently for me. The only thing I haven't tried is the electric egg cooker. They all seem to help sometimes. I have been adding baking soda to the water with some success. Not always though.Most of the eggs you get in the grocery store are already old.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

So far when I roll an egg between my two palms they come off easily, and not only that I can feel the shell coming loose as I do it. It's fun too!
Old 09-10-2016, 06:39 PM
mac

Not long ago there was a big discussion on just this subject. I tried a number of the suggestions, but what I found most helpful was steaming the eggs. ATK did a video on it and they found it to be the way to cook them . I found them easier to peel, by far. When I started to peel them the egg shells practically feel off of the eggs.

Here is a website that tells how to do it: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_steam_eggs/

A number of other things help, too:

*Use eggs that have been in your refrigerator at least a week
*Put them into ice cold water when they are finished cooking
*When peeling, start from the big side of the egg; crack it on the top and start peeling from there. However, be sure that when you start peeling, that the membrane has been torn through. If the membrane is not torn, it will not peel easy at all, and you will just tear up your egg, making it look like it was in a war. When the eggs are at least a week old, the membrane loosens up and that is why they are easier to peel.
*Finally, I find that when I am draining the cold water on the pan, I usually shake the pan and let the eggs crack. If I don't need to peel the eggs right away, I put them in a zip lock back and put them in the refrigerator. Later when I need them I find that they peel really easily.

I rarely have any problems peeling eggs and I truly believe that using these suggestions really helps. But, as with all things, there are always the tough nuts (eggs) to crack, so to speak.

Last edited by mac; 09-10-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 AM

maviskw said: "I had the pot full of eggs, so I could stand them on end with the pricked end up. The pricked ones did not peel easier or even easy."

Your mistake was putting the pin hole ends up! The pinhole end of the egg needs to be at the bottom so the steam can get up under the shell while cooking. Next time try putting the end with the hole in it against the bottom of the pan. It should work just like the electric cookers work, which is perfect every time, no matter how fresh or old the eggs are.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:54 AM

I tried this last night, and it worked great. Rolling the egg between your hands seems to help with that membrane just inside the shell.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:58 AM

This method is the same as the egg cooker......it steams the eggs
Old 09-11-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
There is an easier way, have him peel them. LOL
HAHAHA This is what I do!!
Old 09-11-2016, 11:28 AM

I was once told that "fresh" eggs wouldn't peel easily so I always use the end(last) of eggs when I boil them....Never have a problem peeling them now.