Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid Hexi question >

Stupid Hexi question

Stupid Hexi question

Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 AM
mac

Thanks Geri, for the tip on Sue Daley. I watched her tute and was amazed. I have been sewing my together all these years and never thought of gluing them together. What a time saver.

CoventryUK, you sewed your hexies like I do or have been doing for the last 10 years. I love your flower garden and the way you made them scrappy. I have lots of hexies and I think that I might be copying your quilt. It is the first time I have seen a flower garden pattern that I have really liked; which is why I have so many hexies, as I haven't found a way of doing them that appealed to me.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:25 AM
mac

About using papers for my hexies. I suppose you can say I am cheap, but I use the paper that comes in the warm and natural and sometimes the cards that come in the magazines for the templates for the hexies. I then take a copy of hexagrams that I can get on the web and copy it. Take that to my sewing machine and stitch through the cards (about three or more at a time) using a very small stitch (no thread or bobbin thread in machine and I use an old sewing machine needle that doesn't have a burr or anything else wrong with it). They just tear apart when I am finished and only really take a few minutes to make. I keep a supply on hand and since I haven't done anything with my hexies in ten years, I keep needing new template papers.

I would imagine if I had been buying the templates for the last ten years, I would have a small fortune in them. So, I just go the cheap route.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by junegerbracht View Post
I too punch them out - use junk mail so don't even have to buy card stock.
This is what I do too. Plus after I have made a flower, I remove my template, spray starch & iron so I don"t have to have a bazillion templates . BTW if I used actual paper like some people do, I wouldn't try to reuse them because I think they would be too flimsy. I bought my paper punch at WalMart for approx $15 and use free advertising material so it's much less expensive than buying the mylar or card stock templates.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:15 PM

CoventryUK I love your quilt and the colors you used. I have one that my mother made in the 1930s. I cherish it but I have never been tempted to make one because they look so difficult and time consuming. Congratulations on your beautiful work.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 PM

I don't do the flower garden, but do epp. I glue baste w/ elmers stick glue and reuse my papers many, many, many times. I pull the paper once the piece is completely surrounded.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:15 PM

I sewed my flowers together without the path, it looks like massed flowers
Old 09-29-2016, 11:54 PM

Thank you!! No I don't iron or press them before sewing together! I print my hexies onto thin card rather than paper so am able to keep a crisp edge!! I print from www.texasfreckles.com. My hexies are 1" and my squares 2 1/2"
Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 AM

I have just read through this post....WOW...THANKYOU for all your lovely comments...you are all very kind!!! I have been working on this for FOUR years!!! ( in between other projects!!) ����. It is just a good 'go to' project to take when I have hospital or dental appointments or on holiday!!! I visited the Quilt Museum in York, UK last year and saw an old ( over 100 yrs!) Hexie quilt displayed.....UNFINISHED !!!! It was great to know that quilters long ago also had UFOs!!!����. Redstiletto......sorry if I've 'hijacked' your post!! There are no 'stupid' questions!!! We share and learn from each other!!! Oh..and no Quilt Police either!!!! Happy Hexing everyone!!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
I have a question as well re hexies. Started piecing them together quite a while back. Yes, it was fun but after I had a large amount of flowers completed I heard I was supposed to use the same color for all the centers and I hadn't done that so I just put them aside. Is there any point in completing it.
Of course you should continue Wonnie!!! I preferred to keep all my centres red as I think it helps to even out the scrappiness! I could have done them any other colour also!! It's just a case of what pleases YOUR eye!!! There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way....!!! Just ENJOY!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:15 AM

​Your work and choice of colors are beautiful.