Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can I do ? >

What can I do ?

What can I do ?

Old 10-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

I have learned to state the obvious in writing when paying anyone to do a job. You would think a LA would know binding has to be sewn on with a seam allowance. She should give you an immediate refund for her mistake and insist on it. Wouldn't you?
Old 10-21-2016, 06:57 PM

I have done the flange that Tartan referred to also. it looked very nice when done.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:43 AM

Sounds like Tartan's suggestion would be your best option... but you definitely need to let this lovely lady know your predicament even though she is "lovely."
Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 AM

I like to have a little batting sticking out beyond the edge of the quilt top. That way the binding gets "full".
This LA is new. She has to learn sometime. Tell her nicely.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Let this "lovely lady" know what this dilemma has caused you and you may find out how "lovely" she is but let her know you appreciate her thoughtfulness but please ask about your choice in the future if you have her services again.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:40 AM

I do not have suggestions for how to "fix" this problem. My comments are on the squaring up of a quilt. I do longarm quilt for friends and I always ask the person if they want me to square it up. Most say yes (especially when it is a large quilt), but some say no. Here are a couple reasons the squaring up process cuts into the corners.

1. The quilting "sucks up" fabric.
2. The piecer does not leave enough room along the edges to "keep the corners" from being cut into or but is so close to the edge binding covers it.

I would definitely speak with the person that you had quilt for you. If she is a beginner quilter, she may not realize yet that she has to keep the quilting design away form the edge, i.e leave enough room between the feathers and the binding area. (I am referring to custom quilting and not edge to edge).

Do not worry that she is a lovely person and be afraid of hurting her feelings, just be tactful and honest. She needs to know what you think of her quilting and that will help her improve her skills. Not telling her, but telling others will only hurt her business.

I don't think I would ask for a partial refund as was suggested by another person. I would have to know more about any pre quilting discussion you had with her about how you wanted it quilted, etc. etc. Did you tell her to "quilt it anyway she wanted to", "for her to decide" what to quilt on it, etc. or were you specific with what you wanted quilted on it??? What is done, is done.

I only have one person that I quilt for that is very specific about how she wants it quilted and she wants to square it up on her own.

Another friend always has me square it up, but most of the time I am struggling to keep all the points on her corners, and do the best I can.

I hope you discuss with your quilter what you DID and did not like about the quilting when you got it back.

Ellen

Last edited by Ellen 1; 10-22-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Correcting computer generated typos!! :-/
Old 10-22-2016, 11:47 AM

Sorry that has happened! You should let her know, though. Future clients may not be so understanding! Maybe in a friendly tone you could ask her "How do you suggest I bind the quilt now so the points (etc, etc) will show?"
You will definitely be doing her a big favor so think of it that way!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:40 PM

Sorry I don't have a solution... but as a longarmer, I usually ASK the customer if they want the excess trimmed 1/2" to the edge, leaving 1/2" backing and batting/wadding sticking out beyond the top. I don't charge for this. BUT... it is NOT the same thing as "squaring up".

I'm so sorry that you have this situation. It would be a good idea to show her your top and explain the problem. If that had been my goof, I would have apologized profusely, learned from my mistake, and offer either a discount on the existing quilt or a discount on a future quilt. If she truly wants to be a professional, she will appreciate the insight.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:19 AM

Good morning,
Thank you all so much for your kind comments and replies to my dilemma.
I have machine sewn on the binding on the front of the quilt by "just biting the bullet " and going for it. I have managed to "fudge" the corner star bocks, losing some of the points but unfortunately have lost the tips of all the feathers on the border as she cut the fabric through all three layers - right on the edge. I have taken some photos of the problem and will show her next time I see her. I will give her another quilt to quilt for me ( I am very pleased with the quilting on the body of the quilt ) - and I will be very specific re my needs and concerns. I must say - she did offer to square the quilt for me and I agreed. The quilt is very large and because I have some back problems and a recent fractured ankle - I thought it would be beneficial for me ! I will not do that again and I will ask her to leave me at least half an inch on the border not quilt it to the edge.
I am still hand sewing the binding on to the back of the quilt and I will add a photo when I finish it.
Thank you all again for some very helpful tips.
Best wishes to all you very talented and helpful ladies - I love QB !!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:50 AM

Believe I would have carried it back to her and ask her for suggestions for how to apply the binding. She may know something we don't. I would not ask for a refund.