Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is my aerofil thread breaking and shredding >

Why is my aerofil thread breaking and shredding

Why is my aerofil thread breaking and shredding

Old 11-10-2016, 12:13 AM

I agree with Annette1952 - I also use the 14 topstitch needle on my Bernina 830, it has quite a long eye - no shredding and breaking...
Old 11-10-2016, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
edit. Just realized you are using Aerofil thread and I didn't know there was such a brand. My search doesn't show that it comes in hand quilting thread, just quilting thread, but I may have missed it. I don't know the quality of this thread. It sounds suspect for hand quilting.
Aerofil is made by Madeira (not to be confused with AURIFIL, lol). I've always found it quite a thin thread and have never thought of it as a quilting thread. Have you changed your batting?
Old 11-11-2016, 06:35 AM

I've had the same problem with most quilting threads. I found the least amount of shredding, smoking, or breaking, when using the Dual Duty Hand Quilting thread purchased from Walmart. I know others have stated some negative feedback on this thread, personally I find it works the best. I'm a hand quilter - it's the only type of quilting I do.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by oklahomamom2 View Post
So last month I bought some aerofil thread I have been hand quilting on it and for some reason lately it has been breaking or shredding on me while quilting. I bought it off amazon but usually buy it from hawthorn but my husband said it shouldn't make a difference. I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else?
Is this the kind of thread you're using? http://www.joann.com/madeira-aerofil...y/9643875.html

Sharon in Texas