Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did not prewash muslin - HELP please! >

Did not prewash muslin - HELP please!

Did not prewash muslin - HELP please!

Old 12-27-2016, 04:43 PM

Your quilt is beautiful! And, I'm sure it will be fine. Some fabrics will shrink, some won't. I've purchased Muslin at JoAnn's that was very good quality, and since it was on sale, I saved a lot of money.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:07 AM

This is a beautiful quilt!!! It is sure to be treasured!!

Dina
Old 12-28-2016, 03:25 PM

I'm with Popover. I always put a washing instructions on my quilts. They read, machine wash in cold water, air dry.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
My thoughts are (1) consider using polyester batting since it doesn't shrink and (2) quilt it fairly densely.. The combination should keep the muslin in shape.
Excellent suggestions and Yvonne, you should know that most of us have had to deal with this kind of goof. Bet you'll never do it again.........LOL!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
Excellent suggestions and Yvonne, you should know that most of us have had to deal with this kind of goof. Bet you'll never do it again.........LOL!
Good Morning,
Wendiq, Your comment brought a smile this morning. Favorite line, "bet I won't do that again!" and it is so true.

What's so funny is my sister wanted to know if I'd finally switch to her side and start to prewash all of my fabric. Ha! I told her no! LOL I will remember to prewash muslin though! But no, I'll not become a prewasher. I like the feel of the crisp new fabric and as long as we have dye-catchers, I'm good! So our discussion will continue!
Old 12-30-2016, 10:26 AM

Default dont worry

I would use the cotton batting and let it all shrink together. I would not use dense quilting because it makes the quilt hard. I love the krinkly effect of everything shrinking. It will turn out fine. I have used muslin and the quilt was fine. Let us know how it turns out.

Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll just go ahead as I have been! Act like I know what i'm doing when it is obviously very questionable!
The question now is polyester batting as Jeanne S. suggested above or cotton. I was thinking polyester too but my sister questioned whether a 'non-shrinking' batt would put stress on to the fabric if the fabric wanted to shrink and the batt didn't. Her reasoning sounded good (it always does!) for using a cotton batt. Hmm. Decisions! I hate decisions!
I have to say, this quilt is not my usual style and I've had difficulty making it from the get go but I'm loving how it's turning out - or was, until I remembered the shrinking bit!
Well, All ahead full tomorrow! I'll keep you posted on how this all turns out in the end. This grandson is being very patient with me. His birthday was in October! Oops!
Thank you so much!