Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What thread do you use >

What thread do you use

What thread do you use

Old 01-18-2017, 03:44 PM

Usually C&C, either gray or cream for multi-colored or scrappy quilts, somewhere in the color range for limited colors.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I use 50 or 60 weight for piecing-Precencia or Aurifil. I usually buy and use the cones because they are less expensive-especially on sale. However, I have another confession to make. I am not one to have a bobbin to match lots of different colors. So, I run out partial bobbins to piece-no one will ever know (you are the only one I have told). I do have a large assortment of threads because they each have special uses. My BERNINA machines like them all. I most often use the above mentioned threads in the bobbin no matter what I am using on the surface.
I do this same thing. I don't see what it matters as far as what you piece with. I avoid using the darker colors is all.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:51 PM

I want to ask another thread question on this thread about thread. I recently bought the Bernina 740. I love this machine and would recommend it. Anyhow. I took the two classes at the Bernina place, which is another thing I would recommend doing. But, I think the one thing the instructor told us about thread might be bs, She told everyone to go home and throw away all of their thread. Don't keep it for very long because it gets dirty. ???? It goes bad according to her. I don't believe it and think the next thing she wants me to do is to come back to that store and buy only what they sell there. Someone also mentioned JoAnn during the class and was told that was a bad word and not to say it again. Bernina sells a great machine, but this teacher got carried away I think.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:59 PM

aurifil and connecting threads brand
Old 01-18-2017, 07:58 PM

I forgot to answer the question. As far as brands I'm not seeing much of a difference when I use most of the more well known ones. I like coats and clark even though when I was at the Bernina class they told me it was bad. Oh it is not!!!! I know from experience there are cheap bad quality threads and you will know it when you try to use one.

One difference I have noticed is there is a nicer result using cotton machine quilting thread to quilt. It does look nicer.

I also think that sometimes it doesn't come out as pretty in the end if the fabric isn't the best. Sometimes you can see it going from one block to the next in the same quilt.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:18 PM

Mostly Aurifil cotton mako 50wt (I bought a huge stash on clearance from Tristan Threads), Masterpiece by Superior (my stash is all the older 2 ply, haven't tried their new 3 ply version), and Presencia 60 wt cotton. I like them all. I wouldn't by the Aurifil at full price, though, too rich for my blood.

Like some other posters, I have a huge cone of warm grey Presencia 60wt that's fab for precision piecing and blends well with most fabrics.

Connecting Threads Essentials cotton is pretty ok and very affordable. Much lintier than my favorite brands, but otherwise fine.